A new promotion from American Express just for American Express Cobaltᵐᶜ Cardholders!
2,000 points after $75 in gas station purchases
From March 27 through May 31, 2019, a new promotion is targeting American Express Cobaltᵐᶜ Cardholders:
- you can earn 2,000 Membership Rewards points
- when you spend $75 or more on eligible purchases (including taxes) at gas stations
The American Express Cobaltᵐᶜ Card allows you to earn:
- 5 points per dollar for your purchases in grocery stores, restaurants, bars and convenience stores
- 2 points per dollar for gas station purchases, travel
- 1 point per dollar everywhere else
I was purchased $75 worth of SAQ gift cards at my ULTRAMAR gas station and was able to get the 2,000 bonus points immediately.
Note that if you buy gas at a Couche-Tard station, there is a good chance that the transaction will be charged to the “Convenience Store” register (5 points/dollar) and not to the “Gas Station” register (2 points/dollar).
For this promotion to work, the purchase must be considered a gas station purchase (2 points / dollar).
Also note that purchases can be cumulative: the key will be to exceed $75 in gas station purchases by May 31, 2019.
Thanks to Nagham for this feedback in the facebook group:
What are 2,000 points?
2,000 Select Membership Rewards points earned on the American Express Cobaltᵐᶜ Card represent either:
- A $20 credit applicable on travel purchases charged to the card (airfare, hotel, airbnb, car rental…)
- a $14 credit applicable on everyday purchases charged to the card
- Up to $40 when you maximize the American Express airfare schedule
- 2,400 Marriott Bonvoy points if you convert your Membership Rewards points to Marriott Bonvoy points
- 800 Aeroplan / Avios / Alaska miles if you convert your Membership Rewards points to Marriott Bonvoy points and then to airline miles
The American Express Cobalt card is truly the preferred card of the travel hacker in Canada for its flexibility as we explain here !
Especially with this type of recurring promotions that target cardholders. Here are some examples of past promotions:
- 10 points per dollar for the entire month of December
- 10 points per dollar for purchases on Amazon.ca
- 5 points per dollar for Amazon.ca purchases on Cyber Monday
- Up to $25 credit for purchases at participating Shop Small stores
- 50 credit for $50 in purchases at Toronto Pearson Duty Free stores
In short, a card to have in your wallet for all these reasons!