Best credit cards by category
Best Foreign Exchange Credit cards
These 3 credit cards are the only ones in Canada that do not charge any conversion fees for foreign currency transactions. You save 2.5% for each transaction!
HSBC World Elite® Mastercard®
The HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® is a great credit card with no foreign transaction fees, especially for travel purchases.
For a limited time, you can get:
- Quebec: up to 130,000 points (or $650) with no minimum spend requirement
- Outside Quebec: up to 100,000 points ($550) after $5,000 in Card purchases in 6 months and a First-Year Annual Fee Rebate
With the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard®,you earn:
- 6 points per dollar for travel purchases (flights, hotels, Airbnb, all-inclusive, etc.)
- 3 points per dollar for all other purchases
It’s a 1% to 3% value depending on your purchases!
You can apply your points on any travel purchase charged to your HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® (flights, hotels, Airbnb, all-inclusive, etc.). But you can also transfer your points to three airline loyalty programs: British Airways Executive Club, Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines Krisflyer.
Finally, with the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® you get:
- $100 annual travel credit (for airport lounges, for example)
- Unlimited access to Boingo WiFi hotspots around the world
- 10% discount for hotel bookings on Expedia or Agoda
- Premium insurance for your travels and purchases
Finally, the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® does not charge any conversion fees for foreign exchange transactions: you save 2.5% for each transaction.
And it’s one of the best credit cards for Costco where you earn 3 points per dollar.
Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card
Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card only requires a $12,000 minimum income and is therefore accessible to as many people as possible.
For a limited time, you can get 25,000 points after $1,000 in credit card purchases, which is a $250 value for travels including Airbnb rentals.
With the Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card,you earn 5 points per dollar for:
- Grocery stores
You can redeem your points on travel purchases (flights, hotels, all-inclusive and even Airbnb).
Scotiabank’s American Express Gold Card also offers:
- no foreign currency transactions fee
- Premium insurance for your travels or purchases
- Concierge services
- Exclusive Benefits American Express (Front of the Line Program)
Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite*
With the Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite*, you get 25,000 points after only $1,000 in card purchases ($250 value).
And every year, if you charge at least $40,000 in purchases to your card, you’ll get a 10,000 annual bonus ($100 value).
With the Scotiabank Infinite Passport Visa Card,you get 2 points per dollar of purchase in:
The Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* also offers: