From July 20 to 24, 2020, Marriott is selling gift cards for 15% off. Is that interesting?
Get 15% off when you buy Marriott gift cards
From July 20 to 24, 2020, Marriott is selling gift cards for 15% off.
There are many conditions associated with the purchase of these gift cards:
- The purchase is in US$
- The exchange rate is usually worse than market rates (up to 12% conversion fee)
- You can purchase up to US$5,000 worth of gift cards per person, per credit card, per day
- Gift cards can’t be used to pay for a pre-purchased rate
- Gift cards cannot be used at Bulgari, Design Hotels, Ritz-Carlton Residences, Homes and Villas by Marriott
- Marriott gift cards don’t expire
Here are the gift cards available:
|Marriott gift card||Price paid|
Is this a good deal?
If you’re thinking to use your Canadian credit card to buy gift cards with 15% discount, it’s not a good deal for me.
Firstly, when purchasing the gift card, you will pay a conversion fee between the Canadian dollar and the U.S. dollar (except if you use a no foreign transaction fee credit card). And the Canadian dollar is not currently at its peak!
If you pay with a Marriott Bonvoy credit card, you should be able to earn 5 points per dollar (but you will have a 2.5% conversion fee).
Secondly, when you will use your gift card outside the United States, a conversion fee will apply. This fee can be as high as 12%!
Finally, it is impossible to use a gift card for pre-paid rates, which are often the most advantageous!
As you understood, we don’t recommend to buy gift cards.
However, this promotion could be useful if:
- You travel regularly to the United States
- You pay for your gift card with a U.S. credit card
Otherwise, it might be more interesting to earn Marriott Bonvoy points through credit cards.