These ten restaurants were selected by Amy Rosen, food critic and author of “The Best New Canadian Cookbook”, who spent a month travelling across Canada.
Toronto’s Kappo Sato took first place.
All winners are featured on BestNewCanadianRestos. com and in the November issue of Air Canada enRoute magazine.
Three Quebec restaurants in the spotlight
Culinary vision, quality of ingredients and team spirit were all taken into account in drawing up this list.
Three of our facilities are located in Quebec. Here are the ten winners:
- Kappo Sato (Toronto, Ontario): Chef-owner Takeshi Sato runs a Kappo-style Omakase restaurant, where a tasting menu is prepared in front of guests;
- Wild Blue (Whistler, British Columbia): chefs Alex Chen and Derek Bendig prepare tasty meats at this steakhouse, including tender, rosy ribeyes;
- Marilena Cafe & Raw Bar (Victoria, British Columbia): chef Kristian Eligh offers an upscale yet casual menu, including mixed ceviches garnished with pomegranate seeds;
- Rizzo’s House of Parm (Fort Erie, Ontario): chef Matty Matheson offers grilled chicken, eggplant or veal parmesan dishes, rich in sauce and cheese;
- Petit Socco (Winnipeg, Manitoba): this ten-seat restaurant features a huge tortilla with shrimp, fresh tuna, Salvadoran curtido and avocado cream;
- Bonheur d’occasion (Montreal, Quebec): one of the most coveted dishes at this establishment, run by chef-owner Philippe Gauthier, is pastry chef Victor Adnet’s millefeuille, made with phyllo pastry caramelized with maple sugar;
- Folke (Vancouver, British Columbia): vegan cuisine takes center stage at this restaurant. Co-owner and pastry chef Pricilla Deo offers a chocolate cake topped with mousse and strawberry jelly;
- Le Molière par Mousso (Montreal, Quebec): chefs Antonin Mousseau-Rivard, Daniel Vézina and Samuel Sauvé-Lamothe offer their guests bistro dishes, including doré meunière, enhanced by siphon sauce;
- Espace Old Mill (Stanbridge East, Quebec): Jean-Martin Fortier’s restaurant offers a country experience with chef Éric Gendron’s Legacy Speckle Park beef, hand-ground and served with vegetables;
- Darlings (Bloomfield, Ontario): Jesse Fader has opened a high-end pizzeria. Stracciatella is also recommended as a dip. For dessert, try our sugar tart served with crimson cherries.
Want to cook for yourself? The book The Best New Canadian Cookbook features Canadian recipes from the country’s top chefs.
Are you going to try these restaurants? Remember to use your American Express CobaltMD Card to earn 5x points on your restaurant outings.