Municipal and school taxes represent a significant expense for a homeowner each year. For users of points & miles, this is the opportunity to unlock welcome bonuses, thanks to these expenses.
As always, only use these methods:
- if you are able to pay your credit card balance in fullby the due date (otherwise the interest charged will eat up all the bonus you earned)
- if you take into consideration the fees generated vs. the rewards earned: if your card only earns 1% and comes with no welcome bonus, there is no need to pay a 2% or 2.85% fee. In this case, the two solutions proposed below will not bring you any benefit.
Pay your municipal taxes with Plastiq
Would you like to use an American Express card to pay your municipal or school taxes? No problem. Plastiq.com offers you this possibility. By the way, we have written a detailed article on Plastiq.
The fees charged by Plastiq vary depending on the card used. Usually, it is 2.85% for all American Express, Visa and Mastercard payments.
Paying your city taxes on Plastiq.com with an American Express card is also a good way to unlock the welcome bonus !
American Express requires you to charge a minimum amount in the first 3 months to unlock the generous welcome bonus, including some small business cards that require you to spend up to $7,000 in 3 months!
As we explain in the article on Plastiq, the best card to use on Plastiq is:
- The Marriott Bonvoy™ Business American Express® Card: some transactions on Plastiq are accounted as travel expenses and allow you to earn 3 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar while other expenses are displayed at 2 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar.
Pay your municipal taxes with PaySimply
We have written an article that describes how PaySimply works.
PaySimply is very secure and has been approved by the Canada Revenue Agency, among others (just like Plastiq). For Visa, Mastercard and American Express credit cards, the fee is 2.5% of the total bill.
For example, with the BMO World Elite Mastercard, which offers 2 points per dollar on every transaction. Right now, the welcome bonus is 70,000 points if you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months. In addition, this card is free for the first year and offers 4 free accesses to airport lounges.
For example, when you sign up for the BMO World Elite Mastercard and pay $3,000 in municipal taxes through PaySimply with this new card , you will get
- A welcome bonus of 70,000 points (worth $467, an exclusive offer from Milesopedia)
- 6,000 points for the expense (a value of $43 in travel points)
This puts the 2.5% fee paid through PaySimply for this transaction ($75) into perspective.
Why not take advantage of earning points & miles on your municipal tax payments when there’s a way to do it?