Up to 40,000 points as a welcome bonus!
Here are the main aspects of this offer for the Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card:
- 30,000 Scotia Rewards points with your first $1,000 in everyday purchases in the first 3 months (that’s up to $300 towards travel)
- 10,000 additional bonus points when you spend at least $40,000 annually in everyday purchases
- Six free airport lounge visits (no other card with an annual fee below $150 offers as many yearly visits).
- No foreign currency conversion fees
- Premium travel insurance
- One Supplementary card for free
For many point hoarders, the additional bonus of 10,000 points after $40,000 in purchases will surely not be reached. However, the welcome bonus of 30,000 points after only $1,000 in Card purchases within three months remains attractive. Especially with 6 airport lounge visits included!
Milesopedia’s community members appreciate this card a lot! If you don’t know it, here’s its full presentation.
No foreign currency conversion fees
This is the major perk of this credit card: no foreign transaction fees. Virtually all other credit cards in Canada charge a 2.5% conversion fee for all purchases made in foreign currency.
It will, therefore, be particularly appealing for snowbirds, but also for anyone who regularly travels abroad or buys on sites charging in U.S. dollar, euro… On each of these transactions, by paying with the Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card, you save 2.5%, plus you earn some travel points!
A Scotia Rewards credit card
Scotia Rewards Program is a travel points loyalty program.
Other key cards of the Scotia Rewards Program include Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card and the ScotiaGold Passport® Visa* Card. Therefore, you have another Scotia rewards points earning source. You can have more than one Scotia Rewards credit card and you can regroup points into the same account as explained in that post.
Enough to earn many points both through credit card application bonuses and with your purchases!
Scotia Rewards Points earning
With this card, you earn:
- 2 Scotia Rewards points on every $1 you spend on eligible grocery stores, dining, entertainment purchases, and daily transit purchases (including buses, subways, taxis and more).
- 1 Scotia Rewards point on every $1 you spend on all other eligible purchases.
Points earning is not as important as what Scotiabank’s American Express Gold card (5 points/dollar in grocery stores, restaurants, entertainment), but as it’s a Visa Card, you can use it at more places!
For those who charge $40,000 in one year on the Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card, a bonus of 10,000 bonus points ($100) will be earned in the account. After that, a bonus of 2,000 bonus points will be added to the account for each additional $10,000.
Redeeming Scotia Rewards points
You can apply your bonus points directly to your travel expenses (flights, hotels, car rentals, etc.) charged on your card:10,000 bonus points = $100.
This is one of the cards we recommend in these strategies:
The only drawback: you must redeem at least 5,000 points ($50) for a card account credit (after this threshold, it’s a rate of 100 points = $1).
By redeeming your points for travel expenses, you ensure a 1% to 2% return, depending on merchant categories.
6 free airport lounge visits
Scotiabank is likely to want to address the traveller market. This Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card offers a Priority Pass membership as well as 6 free airport lounge visits to Priority Pass lounges. It justifies the cost of the annual card fee ($139).
This is a very nice perk for casual travellers. An individual traveller will be able to visit Priority Pass lounges and restaurants 6 times in a year, while a couple will be able to access them three times!
After 6 visits in a year, you will have to pay a US$32 entry fee.
In Quebec City, you can access the VIP lounge!
In Montreal, you have 3 options:
Subscribe to Priority Pass
One first Supplementary Card for free
You can add one free Supplementary cardholder to the account who will have his/her own card
This is an advantage over other institutions such as BMO or TD that charge about fifty dollars for an additional card.
Reliable travel insurance
The Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card has many travel insurance:
Travel Emergency Medical Insurance
Coverage is provided for eligible persons under age 65 for up to 25 consecutive days and for eligible persons age 65 and older for up to 10 consecutive days.
Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption Insurance
Charge at least 75% of your trip costs to your Card and get trip interruption insurance at no extra cost.
Flight delay insurance
Charge at least 75% of the full ticket cost to your Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Card Card and you’ll be eligible for reimbursement of necessary expenses such as hotel accommodations, meals and other emergency items.
Delayed and Lost Baggage Insurance
Charge the full cost of your airplane, train, bus or cruise ship tickets to your Card. If your checked luggage is delayed or lost – you’re covered.
Travel Accident Insurance
Charge at least 75% of your ticket cost to your Card and you’re insured against accidental loss of life or dismemberment.
Rental Car Collision Loss/Damage Insurance
Charge the full cost of your eligible rental car to your Card and you’re automatically insured if your rental is damaged or stolen.
Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance
Use your Card to pay for your stay at any hotel or motel in Canada or the U.S.
Scotiabank was the first major Canadian bank to offer a card with no foreign transaction fees. Since then, two other credit cards have also offered this perk.
This Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card will be very appealing for several profiles:
- Those who regularly pay in foreign currency
- Those who travel regularly abroad
- Those who want a card with solid insurance
- Those who travel at least once or twice a year and who will use the Priority Pass airport lounges entrances.
- Those who already have one or more Scotia Rewards cards in their wallet.
- Those who have a balance of points and would like to cancel their current card while retaining their points through this new card
If you want to apply for this credit card to take advantage of this limited offer, while supporting milesopedia, it’s here!
- Earn up to 40,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points in your first year (that’s up to $400 towards travel )‡
- Earn 2x Scotia Rewards® points on every $1 you spend on eligible grocery stores, dining, entertainment purchases and daily transit purchases (including buses, subways, taxis and more)
- Enjoy no FX Mark-up
- Enjoy Complimentary Airport Lounge Access, plus 6 free lounge visits per year
- Rates, fees and other information are effective as of March 1, 2021. Subject to change.
Fees & Conditions
1 1 For a limited time, become a new Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite credit cardholder and earn a one-time 30,000 Scotia Rewards point bonus with your first $1,000 in everyday eligible purchases if made within the first 3 months (the “Bonus Offer”). Bonus Offer ends July 1, 2021. Conditions apply – see 1 below for further details. Bonus Offer may be changed, cancelled or extended and cannot be combined with any other offers.
Plus, as a Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite credit cardholder you are always eligible to earn an annual 10,000 Scotia Rewards point bonus when you spend at least $40,000 in everyday eligible purchases annually on your Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite account. Conditions apply – see 2 below for further details.
Rates and Fees: The current annual fee for the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite credit card (“Account”) is $139 for the primary card, $0 for one additional supplementary card and $50 for each additional supplementary card thereafter.
The current preferred annual interest rates for this Account are: 19.99% on purchases and 22.99% on cash advances (including balance transfers, Scotia® Credit Card Cheques and cash-like transactions). All rates, fees, features and benefits are subject to change.
1) Bonus Offer Description and Conditions:To be eligible for the Bonus Offer, you must have at least $1,000 in eligible purchases posted to your new Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite credit card account (“Account”) in the first 3 months from the Account open date. Eligible purchases include purchases (less any refunds, returns or other similar credits) but do not include payments, cash advances (including balance transfers, Scotia® Credit Card Cheques or cash-like transactions), interest, fees or other charges. The 30,000 Bonus Offer points will be credited to the primary cardholder’s Scotia Rewards account within approximately 2-3 business days following the qualifying $1,000 in eligible purchases being posted to your Account within 3 months from the Account open date, provided the Account is open and in good standing at time of payout. The Account is considered in good standing if it is not delinquent (past due) or over limit and the Cardholder(s) is not in breach of the Revolving Credit Agreement that applies to the Account. Bonus Offer applies to new Accounts only opened by July 1, 2021.
Individuals who are currently or were previously primary or secondary cardholders of a Scotiabank retail credit card in the past 2 years, including those that switch from an existing Scotiabank retail credit card, as well as employees of Scotiabank, are not eligible for the Bonus Offer. Subject to the above exclusions, Scotiabank small business credit cardholders are eligible for the Bonus Offer.
2) Annual Bonus Point Conditions: As a Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite credit cardholder you can earn an annual Scotia Rewards point bonus starting at 10,000 Scotia Rewards points when you make at least $40,000 in eligible purchases annually on your Account each year (12-months). Eligible purchases include purchases (less any refunds, returns or other similar credits) but do not include payments, cash advances (including balance transfers, Scotia® Credit Card Cheques or cash-like transactions), interest, fees or other charges. Annual period starts from the Account open date and resets every 12 months thereafter. You will earn 2,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points for every additional $10,000 in Purchases thereafter in that same year, after the $40,000 annual spend has been reached.
The Annual bonus Scotia Rewards points will be credited within approximately 2-3 business days after you have met the $40,000 annual spend threshold on the Account and within approximately 2-3 business days after you have met each additional $10,000 annual spend threshold on the Account, provided your Account is open and in good standing. The Account is considered in good standing if it is not delinquent (past due) or over limit and the Cardholders(s) is not in breach of the Revolving Credit Agreement that applies to the Account.