Hotel loyalty programs are fighting to attract the most loyal members of other programs. The following example is a good proof.
Loyalty programs status match
Status match s an offer made by a loyalty program to provide you with status equivalent to that which you already have with a competing loyalty program.
Status matches are a common practice in loyalty programs, especially hotel programs.
Some programs work case-by-case… while others create real acquisition campaigns with dedicated sites.
Become a Best Western Diamond member with a status match.
Here’s an example from Best Western Rewards, who nicely called their status match: “Status Match No Catch“.
With our Status Match…No Catch® program, we will match your ELITE status in any other hotel loyalty program, FREE of charge. You’ll begin earning Best Western Rewards® points at the Elite level instantly, and watch them add up even faster.
I’ll take my case as an example. Thanks to my Platinum Card®, I am a Gold member of the Marriott Bonvoy program.
Statusmatcher.com, gave me some pointers on which program I should choose to go to check out Best Western Rewards.
Through this, I found that Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite members received the highest status: Diamond Select.
The procedure is described on the Best Western Rewards website. But there is no need to fill out the form indicated.
So, I just sent an email to StatusMatch@bestwestern.com saying:
- My Best Western Rewards membership number
- My Name
- My address (as indicated in the account)
- The competitor loyalty program
- My status with the competitor’s loyalty programme
I added a screenshot of my Marriott Bonvoy account proving that I am indeed a Gold Elite Member.
10 minutes later (!!!!), I got an email validating my new status: Diamond Select!
So in the space of 10 minutes, I went from the lowest status (Blue) to the highest status (Diamond Select) which normally requires at least 25 nights in the year staying at Best Western hotels!
This status allows you to get 50% bonus points for each stay. In addition, the status will be valid until March 31, 2025!
Thanks to my American Express Platinum card , I am:
- Gold member of the Marriott Bonvoy program
- Gold Member of the Hilton Honors Program
- Gold member of the Radisson Rewards program
Thanks to various status matches I was able to become:
- World of Hyatt Explorist Member (no longer available, but you can “try out” on this page“)
- Diamond Select Member of the Best Western Rewards Program
- AccorHotels Platinum Member (No longer available, but can be obtained otherwise here)
- IHG Platinum Member (No longer available, but some promotions return from time to time)
- Choice Hotels PlatinumMember
What is the purpose of this “race” for status? In addition to ensuring that I am always greeted very well in any hotel that is a member of a group, it allows me to achieve the status of another program. And sometimes, it even allows you to climb the ladder faster!
Usually programs allow a lifetime status match. So calculate your move to avoid unnecessary status matches.
When you get hooked on points and miles… you end up getting hooked on hotel and airline status too!