A WestJet companion voucher offer an excellent opportunity for travellers to save money on their flights. In this article, we’ll explore what WestJet companion vouchers are, how to obtain them, their costs, restrictions, and tips on maximizing their value. Whether you’re a frequent flyer or a leisure traveller, companion vouchers can provide significant savings on your WestJet bookings.
WestJet Companion Voucher - How it works
WestJet companion vouchers are valuable discounts issued within the WestJet Rewards program. With it, you can bring someone with you for a discounted fare; it has to be on the same flight and itinerary as yours and you must pay any applicable taxes and fees, in addition to a fixed base fare. They can be used for one-way or round-trip travel (including open jaws) so it’s best to go for the latter to maximize its value.
There are no blackout periods to redeem a WestJet Companion Voucher and you can use WestJet dollars to cover the fare. In regards of added benefits such as seat selection or checked bags, the fees will be billed to both passengers.
Simply sign into your WestJet Rewards account before making your search to apply a WestJet Companion Voucher.
While WestJet companion vouchers offer great value, there are certain restrictions to be aware of:
- Not eligible for Business, BusinessFlex, or Member Exclusive fares.
- The same fare type must be chosen for the primary passenger and companion.
- Flights must be operated by WestJet, WestJet Encore and/or WestJet Link.
- Not applicable to WestJet vacations packages or group bookings.
- Vouchers are non-transferable between WestJet Rewards members.
- Cannot be applied to existing bookings or when using a discount code.
- You must book the flight before the voucher’s expiry date, but the flight itself can be scheduled for later.
- If cancelled, the WestJet Companion Voucher will keep its original expiry date.
WestJet Companion Voucher - How to get one
There are two primary ways to obtain a WestJet companion voucher:
- by signing up for and holding an RBC WestJet credit card
- by achieving elite status with WestJet Rewards
WestJet Companion Voucher - RBC WestJet Credit Cards
The easiest method for most people is signing up for a credit card. With the WestJet RBC Mastercard and the WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard, you’ll receive a WestJet Companion Voucher as part of the welcome bonus and an additional voucher every cardholder anniversary.
The WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard offers various other benefits, including free checked bags. That card also comes with a generous welcome bonus in the form of WestJet dollars that you can use to pay for both of your base fares.
WestJet Companion Voucher - WestJet Rewards Elite Status (Milestone Awards)
WestJet Rewards members can earn milestone qualifying spend awards, including WestJet Network-wide companion vouchers. However, these tiers are typically more suitable for business travellers due to their spend requirements.
WestJet Companion Voucher - The cost
The cost of using a WestJet companion voucher depends on where it was earned as there are three types.
Here’s an overview of the base fare costs:
|Source||Base fare cost|
|WestJet RBC Mastercard||
|WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard||
|WestJet Rewards Elite Status (Milestone Awards)||
WestJet Companion Voucher - Tips for Maximizing the Value
You will get the most value out of your WestJet Companion Voucher when base fare is higher since the discount will also be.
To make the most of your WestJet companion voucher, keep the following tips in mind:
- Premium Fares: Consider booking premium class seats to extract maximum value from your companion voucher. Premium fares come at a higher price point, but with the companion voucher, you can save even more. For example, booking a round-trip premium class ticket with a companion voucher can result in great savings compared to the regular price.
- Peak travel season: Using a WestJet companion voucher during peak travel season comes with several notable benefits. Firstly, it allows you to make significant savings on your flights, which is especially valuable when airfares tend to be higher due to increased demand.
- Last-minute flights: The voucher’s flexibility enables you to book flights even on short notice, ensuring availability for spontaneous trips that tend to come with a higher base fare.
- Japan: WestJet operates flights from Calgary to Tokyo and since demand has increased exponentially for this destination, base fare also did. Therefore, if you have a WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard, the voucher will allow you to travel to Japan for a base fare of $399!
WestJet Companion Voucher - Trade it for a Lounge Passes
While WestJet companion vouchers are primarily used for flight redemptions, they can also be converted into lounge passes. This option is especially useful if you have a lot of companion vouchers but don’t have a credit card that allows you to use the lounge.
Only RBC WestJet World Elite credit card vouchers can be converted to lounge passes at a rate of one voucher for four lounge passes. The WestJet Rewards member and their guests can use these passes, but the member must be present.
There are many credit cards that provide free or discounted lounges access, so the best strategy is to keep your WestJet Companion Vouchers for what they were made for to maximize their value, which is flights.
WestJet companion vouchers offer an excellent opportunity to save money on your flights within the WestJet Rewards program. Whether you obtain them through RBC WestJet credit cards (which is the easiest ongoing way to get them each year since there is no minimum spending required) or by achieving elite status with WestJet Rewards, these vouchers can result in significant savings on base fares.
Remember the restrictions when using companion vouchers and consider maximizing their value by booking round-trip flights or upgrading to premium class. Take advantage of these vouchers and enjoy more affordable travel experiences with WestJet.
What is the easiest way to obtain a WestJet companion voucher?
Will I lose the WestJet companion voucher if I cancel the credit card that offered it?
Yes, it is tied to the credit card that issued it and it will be removed from your account if you no longer hold the card.
On what flights can I use a WestJet companion voucher?
On one-way, round trips and open jaws on the WestJet, WestJet Encore and WestJet Link network.
Can you combine WestJet dollars and a WestJet companion voucher?
Yes, you can redeem flights using both WestJet dollars and a companion voucher.
Can a WestJet companion voucher be used to purchase premium seats?
Yes, companion vouchers can be used to book premium seats but not in business class.
Can I transfer or use my WestJet companion voucher to another person?
No, companion vouchers can only be used by the WestJet Rewards member whose account contains the voucher.
Can a WestJet companion voucher be used on a WestJet Vacation package?
No, companion vouchers can only be used on WestJet flights, not vacation packages.
Do WestJet companion vouchers expire?
Yes, companion vouchers have an expiry date for booking flights, but the flights themselves can be booked for a later date.
Will the WestJet companion voucher be refunded if I cancel my flight after using it?
Yes, the voucher will be credited back to you with the original expiry date, and if you still hold the credit card that issued it.