As a follow-up to our article on credit cards for beginners, it is important to remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint! It is necessary to calm down at the beginning to avoid negative repercussions on your credit rating.
When starting, the norm is to apply for 1 or 2 credit cards every six months. Then, apply for two cards every four months when you are more used to it.
This list was compiled based on our analysis, personal experiences and those of Milesopedia readers. When you have experience with credit cards, these are the best cards we recommend most often.
We assume you already have one or two cards from the Beginner Level article : Which credit card(s) to get? These best mid-level credit cards are for people with a little experience were chosen based on:
- their profitability
- medium and long term benefits
- and the ability to earn rewards at an higher level than the previous ones
In summary, here are our picks for the best credit cards to start with:
|Marriott Bonvoy® American Express®* Card||Thanks to its points that give free nights and its annual free night certificate|
|TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card||For its Aeroplan points and benefits that make travel easier|
|Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card||One of the few credit cards that avoids the 2.5% foreign conversion fee.|
|American Express Platinum Card®||For its refined travel benefits such as unlimited access to airport lounges|
Marriott Bonvoy® American Express®* Card
Why hold the Marriott BonvoyMD American ExpressMD* Card?
- Excellent 50,000 point welcome bonus with reasonable minimum spend
- One free night at a Marriott Bonvoy hotel after one year of card ownership (more than offsets the $120 annual fee)
- Benefits for Marriott Bonvoy members
- No minimum income required
- Excellent customer service from American Express
It’s perfect for a long weekend in Las Vegas, breakfast included!
TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card
To book flights with Aeroplan points, there is this very interesting card.
Why subscribe to the TDMD AeroplanMD Visa Infinite* Card?
- 10,000 Aeroplan Points earned on just the first purchase made with this card
- 25,000 additional Aeroplan points can be earned with an average spend of $834 during the 180 days following card opening.
- To get one free checked bag on Air Canada flights
- First year’s annual fee waived
- Exclusive benefits and experiences with Visa Infinite
- TD Auto Club Membership for Roadside Assistance
For example, these 35,000 Aeroplan points, plus the 5,000 points accumulated on the expenses required to obtain the welcome bonus, enable 2 people to spend a vacation in Orlando.
Scotiabank Visa Infinite* Passport® Card
Why subscribe to the Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card?
- Up to 35,000 points welcome bonus
- 6 free airport lounges visits
- Points with great travel credit flexibility for travel expenses (airfare, airport parking, hotel rooms, all-inclusives, etc.)
- One of the few credit cards that avoid the 2.5% conversion fee when travelling outside the country
- Earn 3X Scene+ points on every $1 you spend at Sobeys, IGA, Safeway, Foodland, FreshCo, Voilà by Sobeys, Voilà by IGA, Voilà by Safeway, Chalo! FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, IGA West, Les Marchés Tradition, Rachelle Béry and Co-Op. FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, IGA West, Les Marchés Tradition, Rachelle Béry and Co-Op.
- Earn 2X Scene+ points for every dollar in eligible purchases at grocery stores, restaurants, entertainment venues and public transit agencies (bus, metro, cab and more).
- Earn 1 Scene+ point on every $1 you spend on all other eligible purchases.
American Express Platinum Card®
If 2023 is going to be a busy travel year for you, treat yourself to the Platinum CardMD from American Express. Access a higher level as a traveller and be a VIP wherever you are.
- No minimum income required (it is the only premium card in Canada that does not require a minimum income)
- Unlimited access to airport lounges for the cardholder and one guest
- Gold status at Hilton and Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- Access to the Fine Hotels & Resorts program
- $200 Annual Travel Credit
- $100 credit for NEXUS
- Transfer points to airline and hotel partners (a good complement to the American Express CobaltMD Card recommended for beginners)
- Very advantageous travel insurance
But most importantly, whatever you choose, you must pay your credit card balances in full every month! Otherwise, all your profits will be wiped out by interest charges.
Also, be sure to read all credit card terms and conditions carefully.