PaySimply service to pay bills
With PaySimply – a Canadian company- you can pay many bills with a credit card.
Named as one of Canada’s best managed companies, it is a partner with theCanada Revenue Agency, Revenue Quebec and Canada Post.
Payees on PaySimply
With PaySimply, you can pay many types of bills with a credit card:
- Canada Revenue Agency(source deductions, GST/HST, T2 corporation, excise tax, excise duty, air travellers security charge, tax on insurance premiums, information returns, fuel charge, Nova Scotia Workers’ Compensation Board, Part XIII – non-resident withholding tax, T1 individual, and benefits and credits repayments, Canada emergency benefit repayment)
- Municipalities: Property taxes, school taxes, water and sewer taxes, etc.
- Colleges and universities: tuition, residence fees, student fees, etc.
- Utilities: electricity and gas bills, etc.
- Alberta Tax and Revenue Administration
- Revenu Québec: for businesses and consumers
You can search the list of billers. Here is an example of a search with the keyword“Montreal“:
This makes it easy to see:
- The City for the payment of property and school taxes
- Many colleges and universities
- Some companies
Here is another example with the keyword“insurance“:
PaySimply fees and payment methods
Of course, like any credit card bill payment service, there are fees associated when using PaySimply:
|Method of payment||Fee|
|Visa, Mastercard, American Express, UnionPay Credit Cards||2,5 %|
|Canada Post (cash or debit)||$3,95 – $7,95|
Here is an example with the City of Montreal for Property Taxes paid with a credit card :
However, some selected suppliers do not accept credit cards. That is the case with Hydro Quebec:
Credit cards to use on PaySimply
Paying bills via PaySimply is only interesting for earning reward points. Indeed, we do not recommend using a credit card if your goal is to spread your payments: the interest charges paid in addition to the PaySimply fees will be high. You might as well pay directly from your checking account.
Also, no credit card offers enough return to offset the 2.5% fee. It is therefore advisable to use PaySimply for credit cards that offer a large welcome bonus but require spending a lot of money in 3 months.
The credit cards that offer the largest welcome bonuses in Canada are from American Express – especially with the small business cards (also available to consumers ).
Here are the best current offers:
The PaySimply service is an alternative solution to Plastiq.com.
However, some providers still don’t accept credit cards through PaySimply (sometimes, you can bypass this when using PayPal). You will have to turn to other services like Plastiq.