Buy Marriott Bonvoy points with a bonus
For example, if you want to buy 10,000 points, it will cost you US$125. With a 30% bonus, you’ll earn a total of 13,000 points.
The conditions are as follows:
- Bonus points from this promotion are not included in the annual purchase limit of 100,000 points;
- For this offer only, the annual purchase limit of 100,000 points is increased to a maximum of 150,000 points;
- This exclusive offer, which is reserved exclusively for the recipient, is not transferable;
- Points purchases will be processed within 72 hours of the transaction (but are often instantaneous);
- New Members can purchase points thirty (30) days after joining the Marriott Bonvoy program.
Please note: Purchases are made via a site external to Marriott Bonvoy. This will not count for a 5-point-per-dollar purchase with a Marriott Bonvoy credit card or for a travel expense.
Therefore, 2 points per dollar are accumulated if a Marriott Bonvoy points purchase is made with a Marriott Bonvoy credit card.
Buying Marriott Bonvoy points will be useful for topping up an existing points balance and if you have a specific redemption in mind.
For example, at just 16,000 points per night, the Fairfield Inn & Suites Cancun Airport is easily accessible, as we recently reviewed.
Don’t forget to check the cost of these nights in dollars, to see if buying points is worthwhile.
Apart from purchasing points, there are two ways to earn Marriott Bonvoy points:
- stay in hotels of the Marriott Bonvoy group
- obtain one or more credit cards that directly or indirectly earn Marriott Bonvoy points
How do I earn Marriott Bonvoy points in Canada?
For Canadians, it’s pretty easy to earn Marriott Bonvoy points.
There are 2 credit cards affiliated with the program, each offering a welcome bonus:
With those cards, you earn between 2 and 5 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar for your purchases.
Marriott Bonvoy points can also be earned by transferring American Express Membership Rewards points from these 7 cards:
Our favorite is the American Express CobaltMD Card.
It allows you to accumulate 5x points for everyday expenses such as groceries, convenience store purchases, restaurants, bars and food deliveries.
If you take into account the conversion rate from Membership Rewards points to Marriott Bonvoy points (5 Membership Rewards points = 6 Marriott Bonvoy points), it’s like earning 6 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar on these purchases, which is exceptional!
Buying Marriott Bonvoy can be interesting for some people. This can be for a specific travel purpose and/or to top up a points balance for a free night or stay.
But if you’re not in one of these situations, we don’t recommend buying points. In fact, it will be more beneficial to earn Marriott Bonvoy points directly or indirectly with a credit card.