American Express is about to take a major step forward in Quebec with the acceptance of its cards at IGA grocery stores.
IGA in Quebec and American Express
For the past few weeks, members of the Milesopedia community have reported changes in payment terminals in their IGA stores. And with these changes comes the big news: you can now use an American Express credit cardat many IGA stores.
And here is a selection of IGA grocery stores found on the map of businesses accepting American Express:
- IGA Louise Ménard – Place Dupuis – Montreal
- IGA Louise Ménard – Complexe Desjardins – Montreal
- IGA Le Beaumont – Montreal
- IGA Alimentation Hochelaga- Montreal
- IGA Extra Lacoste Family – Montreal
- Kraft IGA Côte-St-Luc – Montreal
- IGA Marché Toppetta – Dorval
- IGA Extra E.F.Y. Caron – Kirkland
- IGA Louise Ménard – Saint-Lambert
- IGA Marché de la Concorde – Laval
- IGA Extra Marché Auteuil – Laval
- IGA Marché Denis – Duberger
- IGA des Sources Henri-Bourassa – Quebec
- IGA Convivio – Quebec
- IGA Extra Plante Family – Gatineau
- IGA 312 – Sainte Adèle
- IGA Extra Famille Piche – Prévost
One of the Milesopedia community members, Geneviève M., insisted on being able to use her new American Express Cobalt™ Card for her grocery purchases. She wants to earn 5 points per dollar (equivalent to 5% back) and the current exceptional welcome bonus points.
The manager told me that at the provincial level, they were in negotiations and that they were going to change the bank for the terminals (from Desjardins to TD).
They should be accepting AMEX soon throughout Quebec. My store manager told me that if it wasn’t done in a few weeks, he was going to have a terminal installed at the courtesy department so I could pay with my American Express card.Geneviève M. - membre de la communauté Milesopedia
After enquiry with IGA, we have been confirmed that the change of payment terminals will take several months. These terminals will be able to accept American Express cards provided that the IGA store owner activates this feature.
This means that each owner retains control over whether or not American Express cards are accepted at their store.
Are you an IGA customer and an American Express cardholder? Ask your IGA manager to activate this feature!
Earn rewards at IGA with American Express cards
Do you want to earn AIR MILES Reward Miles? The best American Express AIR MILES credit card to use for groceries is the American Express® AIR MILES®* Platinum Credit Card.
With this Card, you can earn 1 AIR MILES mile for every $5 in grocery purchases.
Do you prefer earning Aeroplan points? There are two great credit cards to use at the grocery store:
- American Express® Gold Rewards Card: you can earn 2 Aeroplan points for every $1 in grocery store purchases
- American Express Cobalt™ Card: You can earn the equivalent of 2 Aeroplan points for every $1 in grocery store purchases. You will need to transfer your points to Marriott Bonvoy (5 Membership Rewards points = 6 Marriott Bonvoy points) and then to Aeroplan (6 Marriott Bonvoy points = 2 Aeroplan points)
Is your goal to earn Marriott Bonvoy points to get free hotel nights? There are three great credit cards to use at the grocery store:
- American Express Cobalt™ Card: You can earn the equivalent of 6 Aeroplan points for every $1 in grocery store purchases. You will need to transfer your points to Marriott Bonvoy ( 5 Membership Rewards points = 6 Marriott Bonvoy points)
- The American Express® Gold Rewards Card: you can earn 2.4 Marriott Bonvoy points for every $1 in grocery store purchases. You will need to transfer your points to Marriott Bonvoy ( 5 Membership Rewards points = 6 Marriott Bonvoy points)
- Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card: you can earn 2 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar at the grocery store. Don’t hesitate to use it to unlock the exceptional welcome bonus offered right now.
You don’t have any particular goals in mind and want to have as much flexibility as possible? That’s why there are flexible points like American Express Membership Rewards. These points can be used for:
- Cash back
- Transfers to other programs such as Marriott Bonvoy
- Products or gift cards
The best credit card with flexible points in Canada is the American Express Cobalt™ Card. With this Card, you can earn 5 points per dollar on grocery purchases. This represents for example:
- 5% back for travel purchases charged to the card (Airbnb, Hotels, flights, etc)
- 3.5% cashback on any other purchase charged to the Card
- 6 Marriott Bonvoy points
Is your goal to travel with your points ? There are three great credit cards to use at the grocery store:
- American Express Cobalt™ Card: you can earn 5 points for every $1 on grocery store purchases, or the equivalent of 5% back for your travel purchases
- Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card: you can earn 5 points for every $1 on grocery store purchases, or the equivalent of 5% back for your travel purchases
- American Express® Gold Rewards Card: you can earn 2 points per dollar on grocery store purchases or the equivalent of 2% back for your travel purchases
Would you rather get cash back? Here are the two best American Express credit cards in Canada offering cash back on groceries:
This is great news for all IGA customers who will now be able to use their American Express card. As you’ve seen, American Express has cards to suit every taste.
But one stands out because of its versatility, appealing to those who want travel points, Marriott Bonvoy points, cash back or even Aeroplan points: the American Express Cobalt™ Card. So it’s the number 1 choice for groceries!
You can also buy gift cards in your favourite grocery store for other stores like SAQ, Amazon, Ikea to earn 5 points per dollar!