Does your family love Disney? We get it! Whether or not you’ve ever had the chance to visit the iconic Orlando theme park, you should know that there is another way to immerse yourself in the magic of Disney.
How would you like to experience a cruise organized by Disney Cruise Line, a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company?
Here’s an overview of this family favorite that has been around since 1998.
Cruises for the whole family
Disney Cruise Line’s five ships are obviously designed for families. They offer activities and entertainment for all ages, including Disney shows and Broadway-style musicals, theme parties, pools, water games, movie theaters, kids’ clubs, and, why not, fireworks at sea!
Rest assured, the themes remain discreet in many sections of the ships; you will not be “invaded” by fluorescent colours and fairy-tale characters at all times. Adults even have their own dedicated spaces, such as spas and nightclubs.
Dining on board is also a highlight of Disney Cruises. Passengers can enjoy full-service restaurants, buffets and snacks throughout the day.
As for cabins, there is something for every price and taste, from standard cabins to luxury suites with private balconies.
Most cabins are decorated with a Disney theme. They are convenient for families. For example, some are connected, or have two bathrooms, a refrigerator and extra storage space.
How to reduce the cost of a Disney cruise with points
The best way to pay less for your Disney cruise is to use flexible points from some credit cards. Like:
- National Bank World Elite Mastercard
- HSBC World Elite®MastercardMD
- Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card
- and the American Express Cobalt® Card
For example, the redemption rate is 1,000 Scene+ points for a $10 credit. This is deducted directly from the credit card balance. An example of using approximately 102,000 points to save $1,020 on a travel booking on Expedia’s website is shown:
The principle is simple:
- Book the cruise with the travel agency or travel website of your choice
- Use your points to receive a credit to the account, according to the credit card redemption award
Please refer to the articles below for step-by-step instructions.
Five ships to experience the magic of Disney
Built in 1998 and renovated in 2017, this first ship has 11 passenger decks, 875 cabins (252 interior and 625 exterior), 4 restaurants, 3 pools, 12 elevators and 20 lifeboats.
Blending classic nostalgia with modern amenities, Disney Magic highlights include a high-speed AquaDunk water slide, a Brazilian-themed restaurant, Carioca, reinvented play areas, kids’ clubs, and the Fathoms nightclub for adults.
Little sister of the Magic, the Disney Wonder also has 11 passenger decks, 875 staterooms (252 indoor and 625 outdoor), 4 restaurants, 3 pools, 12 elevators and 20 lifeboats. This vessel was refurbished in 2019 and was first built in 1999.
Built in 2011 and renovated in 2020, the Disney Dream has 14 decks and 1,250 cabins to accommodate up to 4,000 passengers. Until recently, this luxury liner featured the latest innovations in the industry and the opulence of Art Deco combined with Disney fantasy.
Designed for long itineraries, this sister ship to the Disney Dream is the same size and configuration, but has its own character. Art Nouveau elegance adorns its atrium, while state-of-the-art technology allows for smooth sailing. Built in 2012, it has 13 decks, and 1,250 cabins.
Disney Cruise Line’s newest ship, Disney Wish, set sail in 2022. It features 1,250 cabins, innovative technology, spectacular entertainment and more Disney characters than ever before. Its bright and spacious atrium has three floors with a grand staircase and huge chandeliers.
Destinations and itineraries
Disney Cruises sail to many destinations around the world, including the Caribbean, the Bahamas, Europe, Alaska, Canada and Mexico.
Cruise to Alaska from Vancouver
These 5, 7 or 9-night trips give you the opportunity to visit Vancouver before or after the cruise.
They’ll lead you to natural wonders and breathtaking scenery in the comfort of your Disney cruise ship through Tracy Arm Fjord. You’ll enter the Alaskan backcountry with a visit to Ketchikan, where you can walk through an authentic totem pole park.
The 9-day cruise includes an encounter with the massive Hubbard Glacier and stops in Juneau, Icy Straight, Ketchikan and the historic gold rush town of Skagway, or the remote island of Sitka.
Cruises in the Bahamas
Disney Cruise Line offers several cruises in the Bahamas, departing from different American ports: Port Canaveral, Miami, Galveston and New York. These cruises range from 3 to 7 nights.
You can discover Castaway Cay, Disney’s private island. This island paradise is a great place for a BBQ dinner, beach games, and character experiences. There is even a beach for adults only.
Here is the current offer, starting at $1,082:
- 3 nights in the Bahamas from Port Canaveral
- 3-night Very MerryTime cruise in the Bahamas from Miami (with a stop in Nassau)
- 4-night Halloween on the High Seas cruise in the Bahamas from Port Canaveral
- 5 nights in the Bahamas from Miami with Marvel Day at Sea
- 7 nights in the Bahamas from Galveston (with 3 ports of call: Key West, Castaway Cay and Nassau).
- 7 nights in the Bahamas from New York (Castaway Cay and Port Canaveral with a day ticket with the Park Hopper option)
Cruises in the Caribbean
Some Disney cruises sail further than the Bahamas, heading to other seas and sun-drenched islands.
Here are some itineraries in the Caribbean:
- 4 nights in the Western Caribbean from Galveston (with a stop in Cozumel to discover the Mayan ruins)
- 5 nights in the Eastern Caribbean from New York to San Juan
- 6 nights in the Southern Caribbean from San Juan (stops in St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados)
- 6 nights Halloween on the High Seas in the Western Caribbean departing from Port Canaveral (stops in Cozumel and Castaway Cay)
- 7 nights in the Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral
- 11 nights in the Southern Caribbean from Port Canaveral (stops in Aruba, Barbados, Martinique, St. Kitts, Tortola and Castaway Cay)
Right now, starting at $2,086, you can cruise to the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands aboard the Disney Fantasy. Here’s the route:
Day 1 Port Canaveral
Day 2 At sea
Day 3 At sea
Day 4 Tortola
Day 5 Saint Johns
Day 6 At sea
Day 7 Castaway Cay
Day 8 Port Canaveral
Cruises in Europe
In Europe, a popular destination for cruises, Disney ships will take you to the British Isles, the Scandinavian fjords or sunny Spain.
Among the popular itineraries:
- 5 nights from Barcelona (stops in France and Italy)
- 6 nights from Barcelona to Civitavecchia (Rome)
- 7 nights from Civitavecchia (Rome) to Barcelona
- 7 nights in Northern Europe from Copenhagen (stops in Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm)
- 7 nights in the Norwegian fjords from Dover
- 10 nights in the Norwegian fjords and Iceland from Copenhagen to Dover
- 11 nights in Northern Europe from Dover to Copenhagen
Right now, you can book a Spain, France, and Italy cruise aboard the Disney Dream, starting at $2,849 per person. The route is as follows:
Day 1 Barcelona
Day 2 Toulon
Day 3 Livorno
Day 4 Civitavecchia – Rome
Day 5 Naples
Day 6 At sea
Day 7 Palma de Mallorca
Day 8 Barcelona
This includes full board, from dinner on the first night to breakfast on the last day; port taxes; the captain’s welcome cocktail as well as the gala nights and their special menu; participation in the leisure activities and entertainment organized on board as well as the shows.
New routes for summer 2024
Next year, a new port of call will be offered: Lighthouse Point, Disney Cruise Line’s new island. This stop will be included in most Caribbean and Bahamas cruise itineraries from Florida.
De plus, Disney propose maintenant une croisière Australie – Nouvelle-Zélande à bord du Disney Wonder à partir de 1420$.
New route from 2025 in Singapore
Starting in 2025, a new Disney cruise ship will be added from Singapore. The itinerary is to be revealed. It is certain that the ship will have all the latest features and most dazzling experiences in the Disney fleet.
Disney Cruises offer a great experience for families who want to explore different destinations around the world while living the magic of Disney on board!