Airport interviews for NEXUS
Nexus is a very practical program. It expedites border crossings for trusted travelers to Canada and the United States.
In order to be accepted into the program, an interview was required with customs officials from both countries. But everything had been closed by the start of the pandemic in March 2020.
Three years and a few twists and turns later, the process can resume. Applicants can choose from three NEXUS interview options, including a new one as of yesterday at the airport:
- Joint U.S.-Canadian interview at a U.S.ground enrollment center (14 locations);
- Split interview at a Canadian land-based enrollment center (2 locations) followed by an interview at a U.S. land-based enrollment center (one Canadian interview at the Canadian enrollment center and another U.S. interview at the corresponding U.S. enrollment center, located just across the border at the port of entry)
- **New option as of March 20, 2023: Or a two-step interview: at an enrollment center at a Canadian airport (see airports below) and another interview at a U.S. preclearance center at a Canadian airport.
For the latter option, NEXUS applicants who are scheduled for an interview can book an appointment for the Canadian portion of their interview at one of the designated airports through the Trusted Traveller Programs schedule, which are:
- Conditionally approved
- or individuals renewing their membership.
Effective immediately, travelers can schedule appointments at the following airports for interviews beginning on :
- Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
- Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport (YWG)
- Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
- Calgary International Airport (YYC)
- Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
- Montreal-Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
- Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
- Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport (YOW)
Hurry up! The closest available beaches are already at May 1, 2023 in Montreal (YUL).
How NEXUS interviews work
You have to go through 2 interviews: one with the Canadian authorities and another one with the Americans. They can be performed on 2 different days or at 2 different eligible airports. Please note that for the interview with the U.S. authorities, travelers applying for NEXUS must have a same-day flight ticket to the United States.
At the Montreal airport, for example, you must make an appointment through this calendar for the interview with the Canadian authorities. Then, with your airline ticket to the U.S., you can interview for the U.S. side at any time when you clear pre-clearance on the U.S. side.
Just arrive early and allow enough time before your flight, in case you have to wait longer than expected.
Another requirement is that travelers must complete the same type of NEXUS interviews. You must have 2 interviews at a land customs center or 2 interviews at eligible airports. A mix of the two is not accepted.
This is another option available for people who want NEXUS. Once you’ve been accepted, you are good to go for five years!
Remember that some credit cards give a credit on your Nexus application. For example, the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Card($50 CAD or $50 USD cash back) or $100 CAD cash back with the American Express Platinum Card.