This type of insurance is designed for student drivers attending high school, college or university.
To be considered a “student”, you must be 25 years old or younger. Unfortunately, student car insurance can be seen as a discount, but it’s quite the opposite. In the eyes of the insurer, you are in the “learning” phase of driving and do not have enough experience to be considered a safe driver; therefore, you do not benefit from the discounts granted to older drivers.
All insurances work on the basis of statistics and groups or events that are more likely to cause a loss and have a higher price. Unfortunately for students, you are in one of the highest risk groups when it comes to driving, which significantly increases insurance premiums.
However, students living in Manitoba or Saskatchewan do not have to pay these high prices. This is because the province in which they live does not consider age as a factor in determining the price of individual insurance.
To help you out, I would love to give you the name of an insurance company that will provide you with the best student car insurance, but they are all pretty similar, and that’s one of the things you have to deal with. But there is one piece of information I can give you. Some tips to make your insurance premiums a little more affordable.
How can I get cheaper insurance as a Canadian student?
- If you haven’t already done so, get your “real” driver’s license, which can significantly affect the amount you pay. Studies show that holders of a full G license, compared to users of a G2 learner’s permit, save about 10% on their insurance.
- You may not be able to afford student auto insurance, which is fine because it’s expensive. However, to reduce this risk in the future, it’s best to become a secondary driver on your parent’s or guardian’s insurance policy to start getting a driving record.
- Get good grades! Surprisingly, some auto insurance companies give discounts to students with high GPAs. This is certainly the best discount available, and some providers offer up to 25% off.
- As a new driver, installing telematics systems on your car is a good idea, as they significantly reduce your insurance premiums. This puts off some drivers because they can’t drive as freely as they like, but if you don’t mind operating within the speed limit and conducting safely, I would consider it.
- Finally, compare suppliers and let them compete to offer the best price. Often, one insurance broker will offer you a slightly lower price than the other. This is the perfect time to go to the most expensive insurer and tell them about the quote you got from a competitor, etc. After shopping around with two or more insurance companies, you will certainly find the cheapest deal for you.