Article updated on 17/05/2020
Actions taken by AIR MILES
AIR MILES has taken several steps as part of COVID-19. Notably:
- no change fees for travel
- the reimbursement of certain bonuses obtained with the miles
- the extension of AIR MILES GOLD and ONYX status
AIR MILES Status
For Collectors who earned AIR MILES Gold or Onyx status in 2019, their status has been automatically extended for a full year – until December 31, 2021.
No change fees
Effective March 12, 2020, and for travel prior to June 30, 2020, all AIR MILES change fees will be waived.
This one-time cancellation will apply to changes to existing reservations made through AIR MILES.
Please note that cancellations are facilitated by AIR MILES in accordance with the policies of the various travel partners and suppliers.
For travel after June 30, 2020, AIR MILES asks that you call as close to your departure date as possible, to give those who need to travel very soon a chance to access customer service sooner.
AIR MILES follows the policy of its suppliers (Air Canada, Air Transat, WestJet…). If they offer a travel credit, AIR MILES will pass it on to you.
For example, the Air Canada travel credit will be valid for travel within 24 months of the date of your flight cancellation.
Flight and car reservations
If you are within 36 hours of your departure time or existing reservation, or if you are currently at your destination and need assistance with your return reservation, please contact the AIR MILES Customer Service Team to make changes to future itineraries.
To make changes or cancel a reservation that has only numbers in the confirmation number (e.g. 12345678), please do so in the My Travel tab.
If you need assistance, contact AIR MILES Hotels Customer Support.
For reservations with alphanumeric confirmation numbers (e.g. A1B2C3D4), please call the AIR MILES Customer Service Team.
Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood
Until April 30, 2020, cancellation requests for Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood tickets ordered prior to March 5, 2020, can be submitted by returning the tickets to AIR MILES for subsequent credit to your AIR MILES Collector account.
Disneyland California Resort and Walt Disney World Florida
These tickets are currently valid until December 31, 2020.
Until April 30, 2020, cancellation requests for Disneyland California tickets ordered prior to March 5, 2020, can be submitted by returning the tickets to AIR MILES for subsequent credit to your AIR MILES Collector account.
Until April 30, 2020cancellation requests for tickets to Walt Disney World Florida ordered before March 5, 2020 (except those ordered through “My Disney Experience”), can be submitted by returning the tickets to AIR MILES for subsequent credit to your AIR MILES Collector account.
Also, if your Walt Disney World Florida tickets have been logged into your “My Disney Experience” account, they are not eligible for a refund; however, please note that tickets are currently valid through December 31, 2020. Guests can make changes themselves to extend their dates on MyDisneyExperience.com or via the My Disney Experience app.
Other attractions, shows and events
We invite you to consult the AIR MILES Frequently Asked Questions on the AIR MILES website for all matters related to:
- ski certificates
- theaters and shows
- sporting events
Useful resources on milesopedia
We have written multiple articles related to COVID-19 that you can find below.
Here are also some useful links to topics covered in the milesopedia community:
You can also read our ultimate guide to the AIR MILES program here.
- COVID-19: New Requirements for Travellers Entering Canada
- COVID-19 – Hotel quarantine effective February 22, 2021
- Hotel quarantine in Canada: government-authorized hotels and instructions
- COVID-19 Testing for Canadian Travellers
- Update of the Border Reopening Plan for Canada
- Summary of my trip to Europe during COVID-19
- COVID-19: US and EU support reimbursement
- COVID-19: New American Express measures
- End of Mandatory Quarantine for Vaccinated Canadians
- COVID-19 – Reminder of Health Measures Related to Return From International Travel
- COVID-19: Measures taken by the travel industry
- COVID-19: credit card trip cancellation and interruption insurance
- COVID-19: Travellers and Temporary Residents Abroad, Return Home!
- COVID-19: The milesopedia community and Coronavirus
- COVID-19: Ask for a full refund, not a credit!
- COVID-19: Refund, travel credit or refundable credit?
- COVID-19: Air Canada and Aeroplan
- COVID-19: Marriott Bonvoy
- COVID-19: AIR MILES
- The chargeback procedure for credit card transactions
- COVID-19: Canadian Transportation Agency decides on credits