This post is also available in: FR
What are Flying Blue Promo Rewards?
Each month, Flying Blue released discounts on some destinations. You can:
- get up to 50% discount the regular price in miles
- rewards that can be booked up to 3 months ahead
It is possible all over the world.
New Promo Rewards
For the month of October 2019, Flying Blue is highlighting 3 Canadian destinations in these New Promo Rewards with a 25% discount on some rewards.
However, Flying Blue will launch a special edition of these promo rewards, to be booked between October 16 and 20, 2019 with many destinations involved!
Travel dates must be between November 2019 and March 2020.
Is that interesting?
With very strong competition on transatlantic flights, it is often no longer interesting to use miles to travel in economy class. We still see 3 possible redeem of Flying Blue miles:
- For one-way trips:for example, you could reserve a Reward flight ticket for the one-way trip on Aeroplan, and book the return on Flying Blue for the return trip. Or choose a one way low-cost airline like Level, and travel with Air France for the return.
- For multi-destination trips
- For business class: it’s still a “high-end” product, very expensive in cash. For people who have a lot of bags to transport from one continent to another, it is a solution (business class allows you to take 2 bags of 23 kg free of charge).
As part of this promotion, a one-way ticket on Air France between Toronto and Paris will cost:
- 11,000 flying blue miles in economy class
- 25,000 miles Flying Blue in Premium Economy
- 32,000 flying blue miles in business class
Which is much lower than Aeroplan’s offer for Air Canada’s direct flight (30,000 miles in economy class or 55,000 miles and $600 in taxes and surcharge in business class).
As of October 27, 2019,the Toronto-Paris route will be operated by Air France’s all-new Airbus A350! So I will try to book a ticket to test this new aircraft!
How to earn Flying Blue miles?
Flying Blue is unfortunately not a transfer partner of American Express membership rewards (while it is in the United States).
But know that there is another way to earn Flying Blue miles in Canada: via the Marriott Bonvoy program. This program converts points at the rate of 3:1. That is, by transferring 30,000 Marriott Bonvoy points you earn 10,000 Flying Blue miles.
And for every 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points transferred, you get a 5,000 mile bonus. So: 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points = 25,000 Flying Blue miles!
To earn Marriott Bonvoy points directly, you can apply to these 2 cards:
You could even transfer membership rewards to Marriott Bonvoy points and then flying blue miles!
50,000 membership rewards
60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points
25,000 Flying Blue miles
In this scenario, it will be worthwhile to use the Membership Rewards points earned with the American Express Cobaltᵐᶜ card!
Flying Blue’s Promo Rewards are a great opportunity to travel cheaply or use Flying Blue miles that you would have earned through your flights on Skyteam airlines!
This post is also available in: FRCome to discuss that topic in our Facebook Group!