This post is also available in: FR
Withdrawal of 2 Aeroplan cards
On January 10, 2020, it is no longer possible to apply for two cards that have been withdrawn from the market by American Express:
- American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Card
- American Express® AeroplanPlus® Reserve Card
These two cards were the two extremes in the portfolio of Aeroplan cards from American Express:
- American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Card was the entry-level card
- American Express® AeroplanPlus® Reserve Card had a lot of Air Canada benefits such as access to Maple Leaf lounges and had the highest credit card annual fee in Canada: $899
Current Cardholders of these two cards can continue to use them and enjoy their benefits.
American Express' other Aeroplan cards
Remember that the American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Platinum Card has a great offer right now, and we advise you to take advantage of it: this is, in our opinion, the best Aeroplan card for the business traveller.
The main perks of this card are:
- Earn 1.5 Aeroplan mile per dollar after $25,000 of purchases in the year
- An annual companion ticket for a flight reward (up to 15,000 Aeroplan miles)
- Unlimited access to Air Canada Maple Leaf lounges
- Air Canada Priority Check-in
- Pearson Priority Security Lane
- Strong insurances
For a limited time, by applying for the American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Platinum Card, you can get:
- a welcome bonus of 40,000 Aeroplan miles after $3,000 in purchases in 3 months
The withdrawal reasons
You are aware that Air Canada has purchased Aeroplan and that a revamped program will be unveiled later this year.
American Express, CIBC and TD will continue to provide branded credit cards related to the new program. American Express has entered into a 10-year agreement to issue cards affiliated with Air Canada’s new program!
And between the lines, Air Canada has announced that it wants to offer “Premium” cards with exclusive benefits for frequent flyers (and possibly cards allowing its customers to achieve status in the program).
The withdrawal of these two cards – and in particular the American Express® AeroplanPlus® Reserve Card – may be the near-certain announcement of the release of new cards at the launch of Air Canada’s new loyalty program!
This post is also available in: FRCome to discuss that topic in our Facebook Group!