The American Airlines frequent flyer program is called AAdvantage. The company is a member of the “One World” alliance, which has 14 partner airlines. Other airline partners are being added outside the alliance.
Enrol in the AAdvantage program
To join the AAdvantage rewards program, fill out the enrollment form on the site.
AAdvantage points accumulate:
- traveling with American Airlines, One World consortium member airlines and other program partners,
- using the Mileage Multiplier option,
- through the affiliated U.S. AAdvantage credit card if you have access to it,
- with partner hotels, cruise lines and car rental companies,
- by taking meals at partner restaurants,
- by buying miles,
- by donating miles to fight cancer,
- by transferring Marriott points with a 3:1 ratio.
Beginning January 1, 2022, American Airlines AAdvantage credit cardholders will be able to earn 1 frequent flyer point for every eligible AAdvantage mile earned on purchases made with the card.
The accumulated miles are used to:
- Purchase award tickets on American Airlines and its airline partners to more than 1,000 destinations,
- obtain an upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia,
- book the best seats in the main cabin,
- rent cars and book hotel rooms,
- enjoy an Admirals Club membership or luxury experience,
- make donations.
American Airlines status
In 2022, it will be easier to track the progress of your points account as there will be only one status and measure of points: AAdvantage loyalty points.
1 eligible AAdvantage Mile will equal 1 loyalty point.
Apart from the basic AAdvantage status, four status levels offer privileges such as upgrades, rewards such as cashback, bonus miles, free checked bags etc. These statutes are called:
AAdvantage Gold = 30,000 loyalty points
AAdvantage Platinum = 75,000 loyalty points
AAdvantage Platinum Pro = 125,000 loyalty points
AAdvantage Executive Platinum= 200,000 loyalty points
Bonus Miles can be earned based on the member’s status, on the base flight miles earned when traveling with American Airlines and its partners:
- AAdvantage Gold = 40% bonus
- AAdvantage Platinum = 60% bonus
- AAdvantage Platinum Pro = 80% bonus
- AAdvantage Executive Platinum = 120% bonus
Frequently asked questions
How do I enroll in the AAdvantage program?
You can do this online or through this link
How many AAdvantage points do I get per dollar?
At American Airlines, award miles are based on ticket price as well as elite status. The higher the mileage, the greater the accumulation of miles, ranging from 5 to 11 miles per US dollar.
As of January 1, 2022, 1 eligible AAdvantage mile will equal 1 loyalty point.