Labour Day - What's open and what's closed?
This year, Labour Day is Monday, September 4, 2023.
Here’s what’s open and closed on Labour Day:
- Financial institutions (banks and credit unions)
- Costco and Walmart
- Shopping malls and most stores
- Grocery stores and supermarkets
- Municipal and Canada Post offices
- All federal government offices
- Offices of the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ), most SAQs, SQDC, Loto-Québec, etc.
- Convenience stores
- Gas stations
- Public and Farmers Markets
- Small grocery stores (fruit store, butcher, etc.)
- Restaurants and bars
- Public transport (reduced schedule)
Labour Day - In the fields
Sunflowers are in the spotlight everywhere! See yellow as far as the eye can see at :
- La Belle de Coteau-du-Lac (near Vaudreuil-Soulanges, Montérégie).
- In Montreal, at Prairie Louvain, on the corner of Avenue de l’Esplanade and Rue de Louvain Ouest, a huge field of 10,000 sunflowers will be accessible to all, free of charge.
- Intermiel, in the Laurentians, with its giant sunflower field and delicious honey products. Admission is free, as are visits to the mini-farm and play modules.
- Vankleek Hill, right on the border between Quebec and Ontario, Ferme Ouimet offers 3 different ways to conquer its enormous maze.
Pick your own flowers and relax with a yoga class at Au Beau Pré, in Saint-Anicet, Montérégie.
Ferme Guy Rivest in Rawdon offers Le Grand Labyrinthe de Lanaudière, with 8 kilometers of cornfield trails.
It’s starting! U-pick apples will be available from dozens of apple growers across Quebec. Find yours on the Pommes Qualité Québec website.
Then, if you prefer to be on the water, rent a canoe, rowboat, kayak or paddleboard (SUP). Then take an adventure through the islands and marshes of Laval’s Parc de la Rivière-des-Mille-Îles. You’d never think the city was so close.
Labour Day - Travel
Going to Ontario for :
- Visit Toronto’s wacky Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) and its rides. Will you be trying fried pizza with Doritos and pickles this year? Last year, soft ice cream with mustard and ketchup was all the rage.
- Calypso water park
- Scream on the rides at Canada’s Wonderland
If you have an American Express card, don’t forget to check your offers!
Do you have one from Marriott Bonvoy, for a $100 credit on $500 spent at Marriott Bonvoy hotels? This could be a great way to save money if you’re traveling in Canada over the Labour Day long weekend.
If you’d rather cook, use the Marché Adonis, for a credit of up to $100 on $300 in purchases at this grocery store.
If you want to travel but haven’t planned ahead, use this guide to find the best last-minute prices:
Labour Day - Festivals
It’s party time!
- From August 31 to September 04, it’s the Fête Arc-en-ciel, with many free 2SLGBTQ+ pride activities and events in Quebec City.
- It’s the Fête des Vendanges in Magog, with many wineries, artisans and food stands.
- At the Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Festival, watch the morning hot-air balloons take flight for free. Many other activities, rides and shows are available.
- In Rimouski, groove to the Festi-Jazz international. Many dance workshops, yoga sessions and shows are completely free.
- In addition, the Fête de la musique takes place at Tremblant, with 25 free concerts and activities for children.
- Celebrate Latin culture at the Festival des Rythmes Latins in Saint-Sauveur, in the Laurentians.
- Sunday, September 3, is Fête de la Famille at the Centre de la nature in Laval. It’s free.
- Montreal’s best tacos are at the Old Port of Montreal’s Taco Fest.
- In Quebec City, it’s MondoKarnaval, a multicultural event celebrating all of Quebec City’s cultural communities. Activities are free for all.
Labour Day - Indoors
- La magie des Impressionnistes in Quebec City features the most popular Impressionist works in 3D. It’s as if each of them comes to life. This takes place at Quai Saint-André in Quebec City.
- Burger Week takes place in hundreds of restaurants across Canada. 1,500 restaurants across Canada compete with each other to offer special, tasty burgers. The objective is to visit participating restaurants and then vote for your favourite burger on the website.
- If the weather isn’t fine, go to Bora Parc, in the Quebec City area.
- Many municipalities offer garage sales, especially during this period.
- World Press Photo Montreal Expo at Bonsecours Market.
- Visit the Alexander McQueen: Art Meets Fashion exhibition at the Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec in Quebec City.
When is Labour Day?
Monday, September 4, 2023
Is Costco open for Labour Day?
No. It is closed for the day.