A category 6 hotel of the Marriott International hotel chain, the hotel The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas and Spa – Cancun is a very large hotel complex offering rooms that have all the comforts of a luxury hotel:
- Ocean view
- Complete kitchen (utensils, toaster, stove, oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, etc.).
- Washer-dryer including detergent
- Sofa bed
- Corner lounge.
It was the most expensive hotel I stayed in Mexico in terms of rental cost. On the other hand, the price of food/drinks in Cancun is about 50% less expensive than in Canada and I bought my food from the hotel which offers a very complete mini supermarket.
The bus saves on transportation. It stops directly in front of the Resort 24/7 for a cost of $1 CAD or $1 USD.
The lobby (there are more than 3 lobbies in this hotel) and waiting areas:
The view from the glass corridors:
- La Isla Shopping
- La Rueda de la Fortuna in front of the hotel
Thanks to my Platinum Card®, which gave me Marriott Bonvoy Elite Gold status, they gave me an upgrade to the top floor! I love sunsets, and I enjoy them!
The bedroom and corner lounge:
The kitchenette and the inclusions:
Washer / dryer:
If you want to cook, there are also BBQs outside:
The grocery store and Starbucks
There’s a Starbucks inside the hotel. I had my iced coffee there every morning, and all my purchases at the hotel grocery store were charged to my final room bill, which was paid on my Marriott BonvoyTM American ExpressMD Card.
By doing so, you will get points according to your status (minimum 10 points per dollar):
- Points for your stay
- Points for your hotel expenses
And 5 points per dollar for paying the entire bill with the Marriott BonvoyTM American ExpressMD Card.
Score, score, score!
The spa and the gym
The gym is full:
There is a pool for adults only and another one for everyone!
Every day between 4:00pm – 5:00pm there is “Happy Hour” at the poolside diner bar for children and adults and the price of a meal is 50% (ex. Full meal Chicken Wraps cost me $7 USD$). A beer is $3 during Happy Hour.
There is also a Westin Kids where children’s activities are offered free of charge.
Add to that, a schedule of varied activities every day, from morning to night for adults and children, offered completely free of charge (as in the all-inclusive packages)!
My expense of 125$ USD + 25$ in resort fees for 150$ USD/night is good, either for one person or a maximum capacity of four. In the end, I saved money by going there, because for equal quality (comparable to a 5-star in Cancun) with an equal service offer in an all-inclusive in Cancun, the price would have been higher.
Imagine a family of 4 people: obviously, the fact that having a suite as a room automatically leads to consider this option as excellent. Going to Wal-Mart or the supermarket in downtown Cancun is inexpensive, and you earn 5 points / 1 CAD$ with the American Express CobaltTM Card.
Other particularities of this resort :
- Make a Green Choice: 5 USD per day or 500 Bonus points/day
- For Gold Elite and + members: They gave me $225 USD credit on arrival, applicable on food and drinks. In short on EVERYTHING, even on the final bill (if you don’t spend at the resort, you’ll get a discount on your final bill)! I had my Gold status thanks to my American Express Card from PlatinumMD from American Express, so I was glad to see my final bill go down!
- Bonvoy Platinum and + members do not get free breakfast at this Resort (in fact, it is the only Resort that excludes this benefit, as described in the terms and conditions of the Bonvoy programme on the internet). So, it makes no difference whether you are a Gold or Platinum member.
- The hotel also gave me a coupon that offers a 20% discount on food/drink at one of their restaurants.
I used the Westin spa services because the concierge also gave me a $50 USD coupon when I arrived.
I was however surprised by the high occupancy rate for the end of September at this hotel. So we had to book the services at the spa because there were a lot of people taking advantage of their $50 coupon.
Our travel guides to Mexico
The Guide Ulysse offers many guides on Mexico, do not hesitate to look at them to prepare for your trip!