This review is part of our series of articles about our family trip to Japan, South Korea and Turkey in spring 2023:
W Osaka - Booking
Hotel W Osaka is an upscale establishment located in the heart of the city, close to the Dotonbori tourist district. Introduced amidst the pandemic in 2021, it stands out with its luxurious services and exquisitely designed rooms. Starting at 600 CAD per night or from 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points for Spring 2024, it’s ideal for couples seeking entertainment and a vibrant setting with DJ performances.
Earning Marriott Bonvoy points
The best way to earn Marriott Bonvoy points for free stays at over 8,000 hotels worldwide is to hold the Marriott Bonvoy® American Express®* Card (and/or the Marriott Bonvoy® Business American Express®* Card).
In addition to the exceptional welcome bonus of each of these two cards, you’ll earn 2 points per dollar on all your purchases and 5 points per dollar at Marriott establishments. And every year, you’ll receive a free hotel night certificate (worth 35,000 points) and 15 Elite nights toward your Marriott Bonvoy status.
W Osaka - Location
W Osaka hotel is in the Chūō-ku district at Minami, a central location offering easy access to Osaka’s attractions, shops, and eateries. The nearest station, Shinsaibashi, is just a 4-minute walk.
W Osaka - Check-in
Located in the Shinsaibashi district, the W building’s monolithic black facade is both striking and elegant. This colorful and luxurious interior design is a success and was conceived byarchitect Tadao Ando. Two entrance are available. The primary side of the building boasts a modern corridor with pink lighting and a bright W logo. Interestingly, W stands for double Win! The hotel clinched double victories at the Travel + Leisure Awards 2023 for Asia-Pacific:
- Best Urban Hotel in Japan
- Best General Manager in Japan.
The rear entrance is handy for car rentals or taxis. Several parking lots are within walking distance. Once greeted on the ground floor, you’ll ascend to the 3rd floor for check-in.
The check-in counter is in a separate room to the left of the elevators. The room’s lighting and colour interplay are delightful, with a rounded design for fixtures and furniture.
The color scheme is vibrant and dynamic. Each area is defined by a color, creating beautiful contrasts. The modern furniture has a central white bar connecting each relaxation zone. A main white bar links each rest area.
W Osaka - Room
We head to our suite on the 22nd floor. The hallway lights are blue and dim, offering a serene ambiance.
Hotel W in Osaka offers the following rooms:
- Cozy, 1 king bed
- Cozy, 2 double beds
- Wonderful, 1 king bed, skyline view, upper floor
- Wonderful, 2 double beds, skyline view, upper floor
- Spectacular, 1 king bed, city view, corner room
- Fantastic, suite 1 king bed, city view, lower floor
- Marvelous, more spacious suite, 1 king bed, city view
- Wow, more spacious suite, 1 king bed, skyline view
The suite consists of a first part with a small shower room at the entrance and a bar area with two chairs, ideal for enjoying a refreshing drink and watching the city go by.
Then, there’s a living room with a magnificent corner view. A beautiful WOW effect with its corner glass wall. The room includes a leather sofa, a pedestal table, a dining table, a flat-screen TV hanging from the ceiling, and an armchair in the corner, ideal for relaxing and contemplating the panoramic view.
The hallway then leads to the bedroom and bathroom. Large mirrors enhance the room’s spacious feel. The rooms can be closed off with large wooden doors. The floating king-sized bed is a highlight, and subtle lighting accents are hidden throughout the suite. The decor is contemporary. A visual treat awaits in the wardrobe with its urban wallpaper.
The bathroom, in shades of gray and white, features a sliding door for privacy. It is spacious, with a white double-sink countertop and two round mirrors above, complemented by a small hand mirror. The round bathtub is an original piece. Behind two glass doors, you’ll find the toilet and a large shower. Everything you need is here, including a Dyson hair dryer.
In itself, it’s a great suite. I loved every W-brand accessory, from the multicoloured morning mug and bathroom plate to the black bathrobes and original bedside tables; it was a lovely surprise, not to mention the city’s magnificent panorama.
W Osaka - Services
W hotels offer Whatever/Whenever concierge service. You want something? They’ll do their best to meet your needs.
W Osaka - Breakfast at Oh.lala...
Breakfast is available on the 3rd floor in the Oh.lala restaurant… A hostess greets us. The spacious and well-lit dining room blends hues of blue, white, and beige with wooden and herringbone tile flooring. Guests can choose from diverse seating options, be it black leather benches, extended beige couches, cozy blue chairs, or sleek black seats. White drapes and light fixtures create intimate sections, with several buffet stations available.
The breakfast spread is a delight due to its wide array of dishes, embodying the vibrant and refreshing brand image of W: colorful and invigorating! It was a hit with kids and adults alike. For those who enjoy mimosas, champagne is at hand. Expect exquisite pastries, popcorn, waffles, pancakes, French toast, takoyaki, fresh fruits, salads, smoothies, juices, cheeses, dairy products, dumplings, and much more, all beautifully displayed. An à la carte menu is also on offer.
W Osaka's dining options
The W Osaka also provides, by reservation:
- Mydo, A teppanyaki cuisine restaurant, open for lunch and dinner.
- Sushi Ukiyo Open from 6:30 pm Thursday to Monday, it emphasizes fresh, high-quality flavors. Children under 13 are not admitted.
- MIXup For a delectable treat made right before your eyes, paired with coffee, tea, or even champagne.
- Living Room Located on the 3rd floor, perfect for afternoon tea or cocktail evening. Experience a DJ performance, with additional charges based on the time. No children after 6 pm.
- Wet Bar, An open-air bar adjacent to the pool, seasonal operations.
Room service is also available.
W Osaka - Spa, pool and fitness
On level 4, you’ll find :
- The Away Spa, A W Hotels’ staple, offering relaxing, detoxifying, and revitalizing treatments. At W Osaka, it operates from 10 am to 10 pm. In-room massage service is also available.
- A heated lap pool, open to individuals 16 years and older, from 6:30 am to 10 pm. The room’s ambiance is accentuated by vibrant LED and neon lights reflecting in the water, complemented by confortable sofas lining the space. A sliding door opens to a bright patio with a sky view. Relax and enjoy a drink at the Wet Bar. Separate locker rooms for men and women feature indoor whirlpool baths.
- The FIT fitness center Spacious with top-quality, diverse equipment, open 24/7.
W Osaka - Bicycle rental
A convenient service indeed! You can rent up to 3 bikes to discover Osaka.
W Osaka - Nearby Attractions
Numerous attractions and activities surround the W Osaka, including:
- Dotonbori A bustling district of Osaka, renowned for its eateries, bars, shops, and iconic neon signs, just a 20-minute walk away.
- Osaka Castle A historical monument offering panoramic city views. Best accessed via taxi or subway.
- Kuromon Ichiba Market A traditional food market ideal for tasting a variety of Japanese dishes like sushi and the famed takoyaki.
- Shinsaibashi Shopping Street Known for its shops and restaurants, only a 15-minute walk from the hotel.
Further recommendations include:
The W Osaka - My overall impression
The W Hotel Osaka stands out with its impeccable design. It excels in service offerings and stunning rooms. A slight drawback was the occasional service hiccups and the pool’s age restriction. Being trendy and fun, W hotels are less family-oriented with young children and more suited for couples seeking entertainment, fitness, self-care, and experiencing Osaka’s attractions.
Here are our other reviews from hotels in Japan:
See our other articles about this family trip to Japan, South Korea and Turkey :