WestJet has announced various changes to its WestJet Rewards program, including status extension.
WestJet is extending tier benefits for Platinum, Gold and Silver levels until December 31, 2022:
- all the benefits of unlimited use (free baggage check-in, access to priority services and airport lounges)
- this includes unused single-use vouchers (earned through membership level or required spend) such as airport lounge and pre-seat vouchers issued
- the changes should have already appeared in your account
Qualifying Period Extension
Also, WestJetis extending the current eligibility periods for all members, including Turquoise members, until December 31, 2022. Please note that as of September 04, 2020, the program eligibility period is now based on a calendar year.
Eligibility periods for members prior to January 1, 2021 were already extended to December 31, 2021. The new year of eligibility will begin on January 1, 2022 and members will need to meet the required amount of recognized expenses between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022 to maintain their level in 2023.
As a reminder, here are the Qualifying spend criteria:
|WestJet status||Qualifying Spend|
Exclusive offer for Platinum members and updated lounge access
Westjet rewards members with Platinum status and$6,500 in recognized expenses by June 4, 2021. They’ll get two good companions in the business cabin: one for travel within Canada and one for travel to and from Europe.
In an encouraging sign, access (albeit limited) to WestJet lounges will be offered. Since June 06, 2021, it is possible to access the following lounges:
- Westjet Elevator Loungefor domestic flights to Calgary YYC
- Premium Plaza Lounge in Halls B and C for domestic flights to Vancouver YVR
- Premium Plaza Lounge in Concourse D for international flights to Vancouver YVR
- Club MoBay Departure Lounge in Montego Bay MBJ
Promotion: Double Qualifying Spend
WestJet has just launched a new promotion exclusive to Platinum, Gold and Silver members, making it easier for them to achieve status by earning up to double the recognized spend.
Until December 31, 2021, members will get 50% more eligible expenses on eligible Economy fares and 100% more eligible expenses on eligible Privilege and Business fares.
This offer is automatically available to members without the need to register. Simply add your WestJet Rewards IDto your booking to take advantage of the offer and other benefits associated with the program.
Several information to participate in this promotion:
- Reservation: any time until 31 December 2021
- Travel dates: from now until 31 December 2021
- Eligible flights: Anywhere WestJet flies
- Premium expenses: 50% more on eligible base fares in Economy cabin; 100% more on eligible base fares in Privilege and Business cabins
- Fares: Econo, EconoFlex, Privilege, PrivilegeFlex, Business, BusinessFlex (excluding Base and Member-only fares)
WestJet is competing with Air Canada for status.
Indeed, to achieve Aeroplan’s lowest status level – 25K status – it is necessary to spend $4,000 (in addition to the other qualification criteria).
While WestJet Rewards, with the double qualifying spend promotion currently available, that same $4,000 would achieve the highest status of the program: Platinum.