Earn up to 40,000 welcome bonus points and the first-year free with this no foreign transaction fee credit card!
Up to 40,000 points as a welcome bonus!
Here are the main aspects of this offer for the Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card:
- 30,000 Scotia Rewards points after $1,000 in Card purchases within the first 3 months ($300 in travel rewards)
- Earn 5x Scotia Rewards on travel purchases for the first 3 months (up to a maximum of $2,500 in travel purchases – up to 12,500 points)
- 10,000 additional bonus points when you spend at least $40,000 annually in everyday purchases
- First-year free for the primary and additional cardholders
- 6 complimentary visits to Priority Pass airport lounges and restaurants (no other card with a fee under $150 offers this much annual access!)
- 6 complimentary visits to Plaza Premium airport lounges until June 30, 2022
- No foreign currency conversion fees
- Premium travel insurance
Getting the first year free on this card has never happened! So this is an excellent offer from Scotiabank.
You can earn 30,000 points after only $1,000 in purchases within the first three months. Plus, you could earn 12,500 points by charging $2,500 in travel purchases to your card in the first 3 months (flights, hotels, Airbnb, car rentals, etc.). Which you will surely do during your vacation in Canada (or abroad and you won’t pay any foreign transaction fee).
Add to that 6 complimentary visits to Priority Pass airport lounges and restaurants ! And 6 complimentary visits to Plaza Premium airport lounges(until June 30, 2022).
For many point hoarders, the additional bonus of 10,000 points after $40,000 in purchases will surely not be reached.
Milesopedia’s community members appreciate this card a lot! If you don’t know it, here’s its full presentation.
No foreign currency conversion fees
This is the major perk of this credit card: no foreign transaction fees. Virtually all other credit cards in Canada charge a 2.5% conversion fee for all purchases made in foreign currency.
It will, therefore, be particularly appealing for snowbirds, but also for anyone who regularly travels abroad or buys on sites charging in U.S. dollar, euro… On each of these transactions, by paying with the Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card, you save 2.5%, plus you earn some travel points!
A Scotia Rewards credit card
Scotia Rewards Program is a travel points loyalty program.
Other key cards of the Scotia Rewards Program include Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card and the ScotiaGold Passport® Visa* Card. Therefore, you have another Scotia rewards points earning source. You can have more than one Scotia Rewards credit card and you can regroup points into the same account as explained in that post.
Enough to earn many points both through credit card application bonuses and with your purchases!
Scotia Rewards Points earning
With this card, you earn:
- 2 Scotia Rewards points on every $1 you spend on eligible grocery stores, dining, entertainment purchases, and daily transit purchases (including buses, subways, taxis and more).
- 1 Scotia Rewards point on every $1 you spend on all other eligible purchases.
Points earning is not as important as what Scotiabank’s American Express Gold card (5 points/dollar in grocery stores, restaurants, entertainment), but as it’s a Visa Card, you can use it at more places!
For those who charge $40,000 in one year on the Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card, a bonus of 10,000 bonus points ($100) will be earned in the account. After that, a bonus of 2,000 bonus points will be added to the account for each additional $10,000.
Redeeming Scotia Rewards points
6 free airport lounge visits
Scotiabank is likely to want to address the traveller market. The Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card offers Priority Pass membership as well as 6 annual visits to Priority Pass airport lounges, which partially justifies the annual fee ($139).
Thanks to this exceptional welcome offer, you get all this for free the first-year!
This is a very nice perk for casual travellers. An individual traveller will be able to visit Priority Pass lounges and restaurants 6 times in a year, while a couple will be able to access them three times!
After 6 visits in a year, you will have to pay a US$32 entry fee.
In Quebec City, you can access the VIP lounge!
In Montreal, you have 3 options:
Subscribe to Priority Pass
One first Supplementary Card for free
You can add one free Supplementary cardholder to the account who will have his/her own card
This is an advantage over other institutions such as BMO or TD that charge about fifty dollars for an additional card.
And thanks to this welcome offer, all other additional cards are also free in the first-year.
Reliable travel insurance
The Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card has many travel insurance:
Travel Emergency Medical Insurance
Coverage is provided for eligible persons under age 65 for up to 25 consecutive days and for eligible persons age 65 and older for up to 3 consecutive days.
Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption Insurance
Charge at least 75% of your trip costs to your Card and get trip interruption insurance at no extra cost.
Flight delay insurance
Charge at least 75% of the full ticket cost to your Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Card Card and you’ll be eligible for reimbursement of necessary expenses such as hotel accommodations, meals and other emergency items.
Delayed and Lost Baggage Insurance
Charge the full cost of your airplane, train, bus or cruise ship tickets to your Card. If your checked luggage is delayed or lost – you’re covered.
Travel Accident Insurance
Charge at least 75% of your ticket cost to your Card and you’re insured against accidental loss of life or dismemberment.
Rental Car Collision Loss/Damage Insurance
Charge the full cost of your eligible rental car to your Card and you’re automatically insured if your rental is damaged or stolen.
Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance
Use your Card to pay for your stay at any hotel or motel in Canada or the U.S.
Scotiabank was the first major Canadian bank to offer a card with no foreign transaction fees. Since then, two other credit cards have also offered this perk.
This Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card will be very appealing for several profiles:
- Those who regularly pay in foreign currency
- Those who travel regularly abroad
- Those who want a card with solid insurance
- Those who travel at least once or twice a year and who will use the Priority Pass airport lounges entrances.
- Those who already have one or more Scotia Rewards cards in their wallet.
- Those who have a balance of points and would like to cancel their current card while retaining their points through this new card