Initially, Marriott Bonvoy had already extended the expiration date of these certificates until August 1, 2021. So you now have 5 more months to use them.
This concerns Free Night Awards:
- offered by Marriott Bonvoy credit cards like the Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card and the Marriott Bonvoy™ Business American Express® Card.
- offered as an Annual Choice Benefit for Platinum Elite, Titanium Elite, Ambassador Elite status members
- obtained with a travel package or as part of a promotion such as the one for new members
However, Free Night Awards with an original expiration date prior to 2020 will not be eligible for the additional extension.
Finally, the expiration of Marriott Bonvoy points is paused until March 31, 2022. Usually, your Marriott Bonvoy points will only expire if your account has been inactive for at least 24 months.
The Free Night Award
This is an annual benefit that more than justifies annual fee ($120 and $150 respectively).
This Free Night Award has a 35,000 points value and can therefore be used at many Marriott Bonvoy hotels (up to category 5 at the standard rate):
|1||5 000||7 500||10 000|
|2||10 000||12 500||15 000|
|3||15 000||17 500||20 000|
|4||20 000||25 000||30 000|
|5||30 000||35 000||40 000|
|6||40 000||50 000||60 000|
|7||50 000||60 000||70 000|
|8||70 000||85 000||100 000|
There are many category 1 to 5 hotels in Canada where you can use your Annual Free Night Award. You can browse our map of the 250 Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Canada.
Elsewhere around the world, there are exceptional category 5 hotels such as the W Abu Dhabi – Yas Island, located on the Formula 1 circuit, where I used a Free Night Award.
The Free Night Award saved over $325 in this example.
To learn more about the annual free night award, read this article.
Current welcome offers
You don’t have a Marriott Bonvoy credit card yet? Now is a great time to get one (or both ) as they both have the best welcome offer since the launch of these credit cards in Canada.
For a limited time, when you apply for the Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card via milesopedia, you can get a great welcome bonus:
- 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points after $3,000 in Card purchases in the first 3 months
- Plus, you can earn a $120 statement credit after you charge $10,000 in net purchases to your Card in the first 12 months of your Cardmembership.
If you already have the consumers version, you may want to apply for the small business, professional, and sole-proprietor version, the Marriott Bonvoy™ Business American Express® Card(read our guide on how to apply for an American Express small business card ):
- 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points after $5,000 in Card purchases in the first 3 months
- Plus, you can earn a $150 statement credit after you charge $15,000 in net purchases to your Card in the first 12 months of your Cardmembership