Buy Marriott Bonvoy points with a bonus
A minimum of 2,000 points will need to be purchased to take advantage of this Marriott Bonvoy promotion. The maximum is 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy points.
You’ll get a 25% discount when you purchase points before December 20, 2022.
For example, if you want to buy 100,000 points, it will cost you US$937.50 instead of the regular price of US$1,250. At 25% off the regular price, that works out to 0.9 US cents per point.
The conditions are as follows:
- You can buy up to 100,000 points (base)
- Points that have already been purchased or received as gifts in 2022 are included in the 100,000 point purchase limit
- Bonus points earned in this promotion are not included in the annual limit
- Points purchased do not count towards Marriott Bonvoy Elite status
- Point purchases will be processed within 72 hours of the transaction
- New Members may purchase points thirty (30) days after joining the Marriott Bonvoy program
Please note: The purchase is made through an external site to Marriott Bonvoy. This will not count toward a 5-point-per-dollar purchase or a travel expense.
Therefore, you’ll earn 2x the points per dollar if you buy Marriott Bonvoy points with a Marriott Bonvoy credit card.
Buying Marriott Bonvoy points will be useful for topping up an existing points balance and if you have a specific redemption in mind.
With 150,000 points, we could stay in these hotels, recently evaluated:
- 7 nights at the Sheraton Istanbul City Center in Turkey
- or 5 nights at the Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa in Portugal
Be sure to check the cost of these nights in dollars to see if buying points is beneficial.
Aside from buying points, there are two ways to get Marriott Bonvoy points:
- stay in hotels of the Marriott Bonvoy group
- By applying for one or more credit cards earning Marriott Bonvoy points
How do I get Marriott Bonvoy points in Canada?
For Canadians, it’s pretty easy to earn Marriott Bonvoy points.
Indeed, there are two Marriott Bonvoy branded-credit cards and each offer a significant welcome bonus:
With those cards, you earn between 2 and 5 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar for your purchases.
It is also possible to earn Marriott Bonvoy points by transferring American Express Membership Rewards points from these 7 cards:
Our favourite is the American Express Cobalt® Card.
It allows you to accumulate 5x points for everyday expenses such as groceries, convenience store purchases, restaurants, bars and home food deliveries.
If you convert your points to Marriott Bonvoy, it’s like earning6 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar on those purchases. That’s exceptional!
Buying Marriott Bonvoy can be interesting for some people. This can be for a specific travel purpose and/or to top up a points balance for a free night or stay.
But if you are not in one of these situations, we do not recommend buying points. Indeed, it will be more beneficial to earn Marriott Bonvoy points directly or indirectly with a credit card.
The last points purchase promotion ended on October 13. It consisted of a 50% point bonus. This may not be the best promotion for purchasing Marriott Bonvoy points, but it’s a great time to do so if you want to give points as gifts.