HSBC Rewards and British Airways Executive Club
Under normal circumstances, you can convert 25,000 HSBC Rewards points – earned with the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® – into 10,000 Avios miles.
So it’s like you’ve earned :
- 2.4 Avios miles per dollar for your travel purchases
- 1.2 Avios miles per dollar for your other purchases
This is already a decent conversion rate and one of the best uses of HSBC Rewards points.
Once or twice a year, HSBC Rewards runs a promotion to convert your points into Avios miles, with a 30% to 40% bonus. The last class was in July 2021. Then there were others in November 2020, November 2019 and June 2019.
30% bonus between HSBC Rewards and British Airways Executive Club
From June 1 to June 30, 2022, you can convert your HSBC Rewards points to Avios points with a 30% conversion bonus. It’s like you’ve earned:
- 3.12 Avios miles per dollar for your travel purchases
- 1.56 Avios miles per dollar for your other purchases
This is a great return you can get with your HSBC Rewards points.
For example, the last promotion was in July 2021 and it was 40%. I was able to make this conversion:
And I got 14,000 Avios miles that showed up 48 hours later in my British Airways Executive Club account, that’s a 40% bonus:
Avios miles are especially useful for booking award tickets in :
- North America for American Airlinesflights
- Europe for British Airways or Iberia flights
- Australia for flights with Qantas
- Asia for flights with Cathay Pacific or Japan Airlines
- Between North America and Europe with Aer Lingus
- Between Europe and the Middle East with Qatar Airways
Or treat yourself to the luxury of British Airways First Class on specific routes.
Current welcome offer
The HSBC World Elite Mastercard is an excellent no-conversion-fee credit card for foreign currency purchases, especially for your travel purchases.
For a limited time, you can get:
- Up to 110,000 points (a $550 value in travel rewards) if you live in Quebec and with no minimum purchase!
- Up to 80,000 points (a $400 value in travel rewards) and first-year annual fee waiver if you live outside Quebec
With the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard®, you can earn:
- 6 points per dollar for travel purchases (flights, hotels, Airbnb, all-inclusive, etc.)
- 3 points per dollar for all other purchases including Costco
This means a return of 1.5% to 3% depending on your purchases!
You can easily redeem your points on any travel purchase made with the HSBC World Elite Mastercard (flights, hotels, Airbnb, all-inclusive, etc). But you can also transfer your points to three airline loyalty programs: British Airways Executive Club, Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines Krisflyer.
In addition, the HSBC World Elite Mastercard comes with:
- $100 Annual Travel Credit (for airport lounges, for example)
- Unlimited access to Boingo WiFi hotspots around the world
- 10% discount for hotel bookings on Expedia or Agoda
- Premium insurance for your travels and purchases
Finally, the HSBC World Elite Mastercard does not charge any conversion fees for foreign exchange transactions: you save 2.5% for each transaction.