You can earn a 40% bonus by converting your HSBC Rewards points to British Airways Executive Club Avios miles.
HSBC Rewards and British Airways Executive Club
Under normal circumstances, you can convert 25,000 HSBC Rewards points – earned with the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® – into 10,000 Avios miles.
So it’s like you’ve earned :
- 2.4 Avios miles per dollar for your travel purchases
- 1.2 Avios miles per dollar for your other purchases
This is already a decent conversion rate and one of the best uses of HSBC Rewards points.
Once or twice a year, HSBC Rewards runs a promotion to convert your points into Avios miles, with a 30% to 40% bonus.
40% bonus between HSBC Rewards and British Airways Executive Club
With a 40% bonus, it’s like you’ve earned :
- 3.36 Avios miles per dollar for your travel purchases
- 1.68 Avios miles per dollar for your other purchases
It’s the best return you can get on your HSBC Rewards points.
However, at the moment, it seems that HSBC is running an unannounced promotion: several members of the Milesopedia community have informed us of this.
I myself tried to convert 25,000 HSBC Rewards points on July 4:
And I got 14,000 Avios miles that showed up 48 hours later in my British Airways Executive Club account, that’s a 40% bonus:
Avios miles are especially useful for booking award tickets:
- In North America for American Airlines flights
- In Europe for British Airways or Iberia flights
- In Australia for Qantas flights
- In Asia for Cathay Pacific or Japan Airlines flights
- Between North America and Europe with Aer Lingus
- Between Europe and the Middle East with Qatar Airways
Or treat yourself to the luxury of British Airways First Class on specific routes.
Current welcome offer
The HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® is a great credit card with no foreign transaction fees, especially for travel purchases.
For a limited time, you can get:
- Up to 100,000 points (a $500 value in travel rewards) if you live in Quebec and with no minimum purchase!
- Up to 70,000 points (a $350 value in travel rewards) and a first-year annual fee waiver if you live outside Quebec
With the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard®,you earn:
- 6 points per dollar for travel purchases (flights, hotels, Airbnb, all-inclusive, etc.)
- 3 points per dollar for all other purchases including Costco
That means a return of 1.5% to 3%, depending on your purchases! Or 1.2 to 2.4 Avios miles per dollar (excluding conversion promotion).
You can apply your points on any travel purchase charged to your HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® (flights, hotels, Airbnb, all-inclusive, etc.). But you can also transfer your points to three airline loyalty programs: British Airways Executive Club, Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines Krisflyer.
Finally, with the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® you get:
- $100 annual travel credit (for airport lounges, for example)
- Unlimited access to Boingo WiFi hotspots around the world
- 10% discount for hotel bookings on Expedia or Agoda
- Premium insurance for your travels and purchases
Finally, the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® does not charge any conversion fees for foreign exchange transactions: you save 2.5% for each transaction.
And it’s one of the best credit cards for Costco, where you earn 3 points per dollar.