Air Canada's new Aeroplan Program is a must for all travellers. Here is a summary of our post series.
Three years after severing ties with AIMIA – the company that was running Aeroplan – and just under two years after buying back the program, Air Canada today announced the shapes of its new Aeroplan program, coming on November 8, 2020.
For the occasion, I was invited to an exceptional – and ultra-confidential – event in Montreal a few weeks ago, in the presence of Air Canada’s management team for nearly 7 hours to preview all the details of the new Aeroplan program.
- Join the Facebook group to not miss anything and watch the Live videos on the program
- Subscribe to our newsletter
On milesopedia.com, you’ll find eight posts about it with every new feature explained.
You can also watch my video on the new program:
All The Details About the New Aeroplan Program!
History and branding
Air Canada has been working on this new Aeroplan program for almost two years.
Here are some stats provided by the airline:
- 36,252 Air Canada customers consulted
- 38 loyalty programs analyzed
- Nearly 12,000 hours of surveys
- 1,000 questions and suggestions through a micro-site
- And a dozen of bloggers consulted 🙂
With Aeroplan, Air Canada wants to reach more audiences, even beyond frequent or business travellers. The airline wants to earn its way into consumer’s lives every day, while retaining the appeal that makes Aeroplan: travel.
Over the past few months, Air Canada has brilliantly conducted promotional experiments to reach its audience directly at home:
In redesigning Aeroplan, Air Canada would like to:
- Consider individuals in the context of their family group (hence the new Aeroplan Family Sharing feature or benefits for supplementary Aeroplan credit cardholders)
- Offering exclusive and inclusive benefits to its members
- Introducing simple technology to earn and redeem Aeroplan points
Yes! Now we’ll be talking about Aeroplan Points and not
Points can be used in different ways (not just for flight rewards). It was, therefore, logical for Air Canada to switch to this currency.
And if Air Canada thought about a new program name, it could not sweep away 35 years of Aeroplan’s existence. The name is therefore retained, with a brand new image inspired by Air Canada’s new fleet livery.
The letter E is inspired by the cockpit’s “superhero mask” on the new livery!
New Aeroplan Program Launch Dates
Air Canada will launch the new Aeroplan program in 4 steps:
- August 11, 2020: All program details and branding revealed
- August 24, 2020:Issuers to start notifying current Aeroplan credit cardholders
- November 8, 2020:New program and co-brand credit cards launch. Aeroplan.com will disappear at this time.
- Q1 2021:All features of the new program will be in place
Aeroplan Flight Rewards Rules
- Airline surcharges removal
- Partner airlines pricing
- Stopover and Layover rules
- The new pricing based on zones and distance travelled
- Points Predictor Tool
- Points + Cash feature
- Aeroplan Fees
- The new booking experience
Aeroplan Flight Rewards
After understanding the new Flight Rewards rules,you can now check the new Aeroplan Flight Reward Chart.
The chart has been completely overhauled and deserves a lot of importance: everyone’s travels are different, and there are some sweet spots!
We analyze all the travel zones and combinations:
- North America
- South America
- North America – Atlantic
- North America – Pacific
- North America – South America
- Atlantic – Pacific
- Atlantic – South America
- Pacific – South America
Aeroplan Family Sharing
I think this is one of the most significant features of the new Aeroplan program: Aeroplan Family Sharing.
If similar features already exist in other loyalty programs (think British Airways Executive Club, for example), Air Canada goes further with Aeroplan Family Sharing.
- Points earning
- Points redemption
- Benefits as a family
- Terms and credit cards
New Aeroplan Credit cards
14. This is the number of Aeroplan co-brand credit cards that will be issued by American Express, CIBC and TD.
Air Canada has improved the Aeroplan credit card benefits, and better integrate them into its program.
We analyze in this post:
- Aeroplan credit cards types
- Points earning benefits
- Travel benefits
- Aeroplan Elite Status Benefits
Earn Aeroplan Points
We’ll see how to earn points:
- With flights
- With other types of travel
- With partners
- With eStore retailers
Aeroplan Elite Status
For many years, Air Canada customers had to navigate between Altitude and Aeroplan status, with benefits that were not necessarily recognized. Air Canada fixed that error!
Air Canada’s Altitude disappears. The airlines simplified things with only one status: Aeroplan Elite Status.
We go through the new benefits of the Aeroplan Elite Status:
- Simplified appellations
- Qualification criteria
- Program digitization
- Priority Rewards
- Preferred Pricing
- Credit cards and Status
- Status Pass
- 25K Status through expenses