With Aeroplan, Air Canada has paid particular attention to families with the introduction of Aeroplan Family Sharing.
After noting that most loyalty programs are aimed only at individuals, the Canadian airline wanted to add to its new program the concept of family:
- With the sharing of points between members, it makes the whole loyalty experience more engaging.
- The recognition as part of a family unit rather than an individual makes the travel experience more accessible.
Here is the part of my video on this topic:
Aeroplan Family Sharing - Earn and Redeem Aeroplan Points as a family
The concept of Aeroplan Family Sharing is simple: members earn and redeem Aeroplan points together. While each Aeroplan member keeps their Aeroplan points in their account, the goal is to be able to use them as a group.
Thus, redemptions will be deducted from all members’ accounts proportionally.
Take this example of a Family Account with a balance of 250,000 Aeroplan Points. Within this Family Account, four people want to book a flight for 25,000 Aeroplan points per person, or 100,000 Aeroplan points for Family Sharing members.
The total cost of the trip (100,000 points) represents 40% of the total number of Aeroplan points in the Family Sharing account (250,000 points).
Each member will, therefore, see his/her Aeroplan points balance be reduced by 40% for this booking:
|Family Sharing Member||Individual balance||Proportion||Points deducted|
|Member 1||150 000||40 %||60 000|
|Member 2||75 000||40 %||30 000|
|Member 3||15 000||40 %||6 000|
|Member 4||10 000||40 %||4 000|
|Family Sharing||250 000||40 %||100 000|
Aeroplan Family Sharing - Enjoy Aeroplan benefits as a family
Air Canada also brings another benefit to being part of an Aeroplan Family Sharing account: all Family Sharing members will benefit from preferred pricing.
Indeed, if a Family Sharing member has an Aeroplan Elite status or an Aeroplan credit card, all Family Sharing members will benefit from preferred pricing.
Future Aeroplan Family Sharing members:
Aeroplan Family Sharing - Terms and Conditions
Different terms and conditions to note with Aeroplan Family Sharing:
- 8 Aeroplan members can participate in Aeroplan Family Sharing
- For a minimum of 3 months
- In the event of withdrawal from an Aeroplan Family Sharing account, the member must wait 6 months to join another group
- One member of the Family Sharing Account has administrative powers (inviting members, authorizing them to use or not the points of the Family Account)
- Redemptions will be deducted from all members accounts proportionally
- This will reset the inactivity date for all individual Aeroplan accounts.
The introduction of Aeroplan Family Sharing is undoubtedly one of the most significant novelties of Air Canada’s Aeroplan program and one that will interest a lot of members.
Each Aeroplan member will always be able to earn Aeroplan points on their own (by travelling, shopping with partners, applying for Aeroplan credit cardsetc.). But from now on, if he wishes, he can join a Family Sharing in order to use the points earned by the whole group!
Now check out our post on the new Aeroplan credit cards.