Until August 3, 2021, you can earn up to 75,000 Aeroplan points for $120 with this offer for the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card.
Current American Express offers
With 7 new limited time offers from American Express, for many Milesopedia readers, it’s time to choose:
- Up to 150,000 Membership Rewards points with the Platinum Card®
- Up to 105,000 Marriott Bonvoy points with the Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card.
- Up to 80,000 Marriott Bonvoy points with the Marriott Bonvoy™ Business American Express® Card
- Up to 150,000 Aeroplan points with the American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Card
- Up to 100,000 Aeroplan points with the American Express® Aeroplan®* Business Reserve Card.
- Up to 75,000 Aeroplan points with the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card
- Up to 7,500 AIR MILES Bonus Miles with the American Express® AIR MILES®* Reserve Credit Card
Especially since things are made easier for those who apply for one of these offers before August 3rd since you will have 6 months (instead of 3) to reach the minimum spend required to unlock the welcome bonus.
A few days ago, I put forward the offer on the Platinum Card® since it is a Card I have had for several years as a frequent traveller, especially for its unlimited airport lounge access for the Cardmember a guest and up to 2 children, and its $200 annual travel credit.
However, this is still an expensive Card for an occasional traveller (or family of occasional travellers).
I know that most Milesopedia readers already have the Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card as this is a Card I particularly recommend and encourage you to keep year after year (and whose points and benefits were able to be leveraged even during the pandemic for vacation in Canada).
So that’s where the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card comes in.
For only a $120 annual fee, you can earn up to 75,000 Aeroplan points. This is simply unheard of. That’s like buying Aeroplan points at a value of 0.16 cents per point (when we estimate the value to be over 1.7 cents per point or 11 times more)!
There is nothing to stop you from getting one of these cards in addition to the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card, especially since for Quebec, no purchase is required for this offer on the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card.
But back to the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card: I’ve detailed below the best strategy to get the full 75,000 welcome bonus points over the next 6 months!
The best strategy to earn 75,000 Aeroplan points
With this great welcome offer for the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card, you can earn up to 75,000 Aeroplan points.
- 44,000 Aeroplan Points after $3,000 in Card purchases within the first 6 months
- 1,000 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in purchases on your Card for the first six months. That’s up to 6,000 Aeroplan Points
- Up to 25,000 Aeroplan Points with your grocery, restaurant, bar and bistro purchases in the first 6 months (5 times the points for $5,000 in Card purchases)
All these spending requirements are complementary (not cumulative). So, to maximize this welcome offer, you could, for example, spend $834 per month for 6 months at grocery stores, restaurants, bars and bistros. You will then unlock the full bonus of 75,000 Aeroplan points!
Here is an explanatory table:
- Each month, you earn 5 points per dollar with your grocery, restaurant, bar and bistro purchases, for a total of 4,170 points
- Each month, after $500 in Card purchases, you earn 1,000 points
- After $3,000 in Card purchases, you earn 44,000 points
- In total, you earn 75,000 points
|Month||Grocery or restaurant/bar purchases||Points|
|July||$834||4 170 + 1 000|
|August||$834||4 170 + 1 000|
|September||$834||4 170 + 1 000|
|October||$834||4 170 + 1 000 + 44 000|
|November||$834||4 170 + 1 000|
|December||830 $||4 150 + 1 000|
|Total||$5,000||25,000 + 6,000 + 44,000 = 75,000 points|
These are easily attainable amounts, especially if you use the grocery gift cards trick!
And with American Express’ online promotional offers, you could even recoup a good portion of the $120 annual fee (I’m thinking of Shop Small, for example, where you can get up to $50 in statement credit).
If you’re interested in earning Aeroplan points, but aren’t willing to pay a $599 fee for a Card like the American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Card, look no further: up to 75,000 Aeroplan points for only $120 is an offer you should get before August 3, 2021!
And if you’re a couple – and can meet the minimum spend required each month – you could each apply for the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card and get 150,000 Aeroplan points for $240.
All of these points can then be easily accessed via Family Sharing.