This type of insurance is designed for student drivers currently in high school, colleges, or universities. To be identified as a “student,” you must be 25 or younger. Sadly, student car insurance may be looked at like a discount, but it’s most definitely the opposite. This is because you’re in the “learning” stages of driving in the insurer’s eyes and don’t have enough experience to be considered a safe driver and therefore don’t get the discounts older drivers get.
All insurances work of statistics and the groups or events that are more likely to cause a claim to have an increased price. Unfortunately for students, you’re in one of the highest risk groups for driving, increasing insurance premiums by a boatload.
However, students living in either Manitoba or Saskatchewan don’t have to pay these high prices. This is because the province they live in doesn’t look at age as a factor when deciding what to price individual insurance.
To help you out, I’d love to give you an insurance company that will provide the best student car insurance, but they’re all quite similar, and it’s one of the things you have to deal with. But there’s one thing I can give you. Some tips on how to make your insurance premiums that little bit more affordable.
How to Get Cheaper Insurances as A Canadian Student
Student car insurance prices vary depending on many variables; below are some tips on how students can save money on car insurance.
- If you haven’t already, get your full driver’s license, this can have a substantial effect on how much you pay. Studies show that full G license holders compared to G2 learner’s permit users, save around 10% on their insurance.
- You may not be able to afford student car insurance, which is fine; it’s expensive. However, to decrease it in the future, it’s a good idea to become a secondary driver on your parents’ or guardian’s policy to start to get a driving record.
- Get good grades! Surprisingly, some car insurance companies reward high GPA students with discounts. This is most definitely the best discount available, and some providers offer up to 25% off.
- As a new driver, it’s a good idea to get telematics installed on your car as these dramatically decrease your insurance premiums. Some drivers get put off by this as they can’t freely drive how they like, but if you don’t mind sticking to the speed limits and driving sensibility, I would consider it.
- Lastly, compare providers and let them battle it out between each other. A lot of the time, one insurance broker will give you a price slightly cheaper than the other. This is the perfect time to go to the more expensive insurance provider and tell them about the quote you got from a competitor and so forth. After going between the two or more insurance companies, you’ll certainly find the cheapest deal for you.