Transfer of points possible online
Marriott already allowed its members to transfer points between them. But this required calling customer service and asking them to make the transfer.
Good news: this process is now a thing of the past!
No need to call Marriott from now on! The Bonvoy program has launched its points transfer tool that allows you to do it yourself online, whenever you want on its website. The tool is in English only for the moment.
Criterias for the transfer
However, certain criteria must be met:
- A maximum of 100,000 points can be transferred to another member in a calendar year
- A member can receive up to 500,000 points from other members during the same period.
- Both accounts must have been open for at least 30 days if qualifying activity has occurred in them
- If there is no qualifying activity, both accounts must be open for 90 days
- If you transfer points to an inactive account, the points are transferred but cancelled.
To complete the transfer, you must log into your Marriott Bonvoy account. Then, enter the recipient’s first and last name and account number.
You can transfer any amount of points between 1,000 points and 100,000 points.
The advantage of such a transfer is that it combines the points of members of the same family (or group of friends) to facilitate reservations when they travel together.
The process is now simpler and faster. You have access to all the points in one account, so you can book more nights or better hotels (kind of like the Aeroplan family sharing principle!).
It’s a good idea to pool the points in the account of the person with the highest Elite status to get the associated benefits.
Transferring points is also convenient if a member’s points are about to expire, and that person does not plan to use them soon.
This is news the community has been waiting for! This is a significant improvement and makes the process much faster.
Will you use this tool to transfer your points?