Today, Air Canada announces the 30 finalists for Canada’s Best New Restaurants 2023. This marks the start of the 22nd edition of this iconic culinary competition, which has been showcasing the Canadian culinary scene since 2002. Details and a list of all restaurants are available here.
In the running are 30 new tables in seven provinces and 15 Canadian cities.
Nancy Matsumoto, an award-winning culinary journalist specializing in regenerative agriculture, will travel from east to west across Canada for a month, dining in over 30 restaurants selected by a panel of experts. The secret? She will not be able to reveal her identity or mandate.
The 10 winners will be announced at a gala event in Toronto on November 1, 2023. Winners will also be featured on CanadasBestNewRestaurants.com and in the November issue of Air Canada enRoute magazine.
What are the criteria?
“Canada’s Best New Restaurants 2023 highlights the top restaurants that have opened across the country between late spring 2022 and May 31, 2023, and deliver exceptional experiences through the quality of their food, level of service and commitment to culinary creativity. “
– Air Canada
Here is the complete list of finalists by province:
- Alberta: Bar Chouette (Calgary), Fortuna’s Row (Calgary), Milpa (Calgary)
- British Columbia: Acre Through the Seasons (Richmond), Brassica (Gibsons), Folke (Vancouver), Marilena Café (Victoria), Suyo Modern Peruvian (Vancouver), Ugly Duckling (Victoria), Wild Blue (Whistler)
- Manitoba: Bar Accanto (Winnipeg), Petit Socco (Winnipeg)
- Nova Scotia: Fawn (Halifax), Salt + Ash (Halifax)
- Ontario: Casa Paco (Toronto), Darlings (Bloomfield), Dotty’s (Toronto), Kappo Sato (Toronto), Lao Lao Bar (Toronto), Rizzo’s House of Parm (Fort Erie), Simpl Things (Toronto)
- Quebec: 9 Tail Fox (Montreal), Anemone (Montreal), Bonheur d’occasion (Montreal), Cabaret l’Enfer (Montreal), Espace Old Mill (Stanbridge East), Le Molière (Montreal), Les Mômes (Montreal), Melba (Quebec)
- Newfoundland: Portage (St. John’s)
While you’re waiting to dine at these establishments, Air Canada enRoute brings you the most memorable dishes from the 20-year history of this annual ranking in Canada’s Best New Cookbook.
Would you like to cook them yourself? The book also contains Canadian recipes from Canada’s top chefs.
Are you going to try these restaurants? Remember to use your American Express CobaltMD Card to earn 5x points on your restaurant outings.