Last June, we learned that BRIM Financial would issue the future credit card associated with the Flying Blue program in Canada. Today, this credit card is now available. Welcome to the Air France KLM World Elite MasterCard®!
As a basic rule, cardholders will get a bonus of 30 XP annually. But as a welcome offer, a 30XP bonus is added.
The Air France KLM World Elite MasterCard® has a $132 annual fee. With this promotion valid until December 15, 2022, the card will be free, thanks to the annual fee that will be refunded in the first year only.
However, before applying for this card, we recommend waiting for a more generous offer (with Bonus Miles for example).
The Air France KLM World Elite MasterCard® from Brim earns Flying Blue Miles on card spending.
The earning rates are:
|Air France and KLM flight ticket (for Flying Blue members)||5 Miles/1 Euro (in addition to regular miles earned according to status)|
|Restaurants and bars||2 Miles/dollar|
|Everything else||1 Mile/dollar|
|Selected BRIM retail partners||Up to 30 miles/dollar|
Every purchase made with the Air France KLM World Elite MasterCard® extends the validity of the miles by 2 years.
In addition, cardholders enjoy 12 free 90-minute annual accesses with unlimited data to Wi-Fi anywhere in the world through Boingo.
Since it is a World Elite Mastercard, the minimum annual income requirement is $80,000 or a minimum household income of $150,000.
Foreign currency conversion fees
It’s really unclear.
The terms and conditions of the French version of the card state that there are no conversion fees for foreign currency transactions. In the English version, it is mentioned that it’s 2,5 %.
However, BRIM cards are known to have no conversion fees. We will have to wait for a confirmation from the financial institution for this Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard.
The card offers many insurance coverages. We invite you to read the insurance certificate:
- Out-of-Province Emergency Medical Travel Insurance
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance
- Flight delay insurance, luggage insurance, hotel burglary insurance
- For rental vehicles: collision and damage insurance
- Accident on board a common carrier
- Purchase protection, mobile device, event ticket and extended warranty
Air France-KLM has definitely been looking to strengthen its presence in Canada for several years:
- Addition or reinforcement of the network (such as the direct flight between Quebec and Paris or the flight to French Antilles)
- Upgrading of the service with new generation aircraft such as the A350
- Significant improvement of the Air France Lounge in Montreal
- Partnership with American Express Membership Rewards to convert points into Flying Blue Miles
- Regular Promo Rewards targeting Canadian destinations
- Regular Flying Blue Miles purchase promotions
- 25% discount on reward tickets for children (2 to 11 years old)
- Only 15,000 miles needed for a trip to Europe, North Africa, Morocco and Tunisia
Canada’s Benjamin Smith, Air France-KLM’s talented CEO since 2018 – and former top executive of Air Canada – is likely no stranger to all this.
The arrival of this Air France-KLM credit card is beneficial to stimulate competition. Not only against Air Canada Aeroplan credit cards, but also against other credit cards issued by WestJet, British Airways or Cathay Pacific.