As of June 29, this pilot project will be reserved only for flights from Frankfurt to Montreal and Toronto. Subsequently, Air Canada plans to roll out its solution across its network, depending on the results.
There are some benefits to this voluntary passenger trial:
- Save time by validating the negative test result before arriving at the airport
- Know instantly if the test meets the entry requirements
- Enjoy a touchless and more enjoyable experience
Steps to follow
With the help of Amadeus, a travel technology solutions provider, passengers will be able to scan, upload and verify their COVID-19 test results. As soon as the flight is successfully completed, the data is deleted automatically.
This way, they can find out before they arrive at the airport if they meet government health requirements for travel.
A few days before departure, Air Canada will send an email to passengers on the participating flight inviting them to join the trial. This option is not mandatory.
Then, here’s your mission, should you choose to accept it:
- Get your COVID-19 PCR test at one of the German laboratories of CENTOGENE, the trial partner. Your test result will feature a QR code.
- During check-in for your flight, scan this code which is located on your test result. You will receive an immediate validation.
- Go at the airport. The validated negative result will be automatically incorporated into your reservation and will be available to Air Canada agents.
There isno need to download another application. During check-in, a link will pop-up to submit the documents in the Air Canada mobile application or on the mobile version of the Air Canada website.
However, passengers will still need to keep their original documents with them for the duration of their flight.
Following this testing, Air Canada may add new features:
- Management of tests performed by laboratories other than CENTOGENE
- Integration of a virtual certificate of vaccination
- Information on the health entry requirements of the country of destination
- Be compatible with other health passport applications around the world
To participate in this trial, you will absolutely need a mobile phone or tablet. Otherwise, you can simply bring the original copy of your negative COVID-19 test result to the airport.
For all the details, you can consult them here on the Air Canada website.
Air Canada will use the same German laboratory as its Star Alliance partners United and Lufthansa. We wish them good luck with this project, which looks simple enough for the passengers.