American Express Canada offers 7 Small Business Cards accessible to self-employed individuals or small business owners. Find out how to apply for one of them and their advantages.
A difference must first be established between the 3 types of cards issued by American Express:
- Consumer cards: for individuals
- Small Business Cards: for small business owners or self-employed workers (subject of this article)
- Corporate cards: for large companies
As a result, Small Business Cards have a much wider audience than corporate cards.
Actually, as soon as an individual generates business income and expenses, he or she may be eligible for an American Express Small Business Card.
No need to be incorporated to be approved for this type of card.
Therefore, this is convenient for small business owners, more commonly known as sole proprietors.
The Small Business Card application process
Applying for an American Express Small Business Card is a 3-step process:
Step 1: Personal Information
Here will be your personal information and what will be written on your card.
By entering your email address, you can be notified directly of the status of the application (and resume it if you stop it in progress):
- First name, last name,
- Date of Birth
- Zip Code / Work Phone
For this last line, if you work from home, enter your home address.
Step 2: Contact person
This is primarily your personal information so that American Express can contact you AND send you your card and statements:
- Home Phone
- Home address
If you work from home, indicate that your work address is the same as your home address by checking the box provided.
Step 3: Finance and Business
This is the most important part: we go into the details of your professional activity and your personal income:
- Personal annual income
- Business Information
You are free to provide or not your Social Insurance Number or the fact that you already have an American Express Card.
If you operate a sole proprietorship ( = self-employed), you can enter your name as the “legal name of the business .”
You then choose the industry that is closest to your business.
Can we have several Small Business cards?
This is a recurring question.
Yes, it is possible to have multiple American Express Small Business Cards.
- space card apps at least 6 months apart
- keep each of your cards active
Why would American Express give you a new Small Business Card if there is no activity on your current card?
American Express Small Business Cards
Now that you know how to apply for an American Express Small Business Card, let’s take a look at the choices available to you.
American Express offers Small Business Cards in 4 loyalty programs:
- American Express Membership Rewards
- Marriott Bonvoy
- AIR MILES
American Express Membership Rewards Small Business Cards
These are the best known Small Business cards:
Each of them has its own specific advantages.
What brings them together: they are charge cards. There are no pre-established limits, which can be convenient for a small business with many expenses.
It is also possible to maximize cash flow through a period of up to 55 days without interest.
If you prefer a credit card offering Membership Rewards points, here’s one:
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express offers:
- An exciting welcome bonus
- Unlimited access for the cardholder AND one guest to over 1,200 airport lounges worldwide
- Marriott Bonvoy Elite-Gold status
- 1.25 Membership Rewards points per dollar of purchases everywhere
The American Express® Business Gold Rewards Card® offers:
- An interesting welcome bonus
- 2 points per dollar of purchases from 3 suppliers that you can select from a list(including Plastiq.com’s service for payment of many invoices or Petro-Canada purchases)
- 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases on everything else
The American Express Business Edge™ Card offers:
- An interesting welcome bonus
- 3X the points on Eats & Drinks
- 3X the points on Rides & Gas
- 3X the points on Office Supplies & Electronics
The American Express Marriott Bonvoy Card for Small Business
The Marriott Bonvoy™ Business American Express® Card is a credit card for small businesses.
Its main advantages are:
- A generous welcome bonus delivered after $1,500 in Card purchases
- 5 points per dollar of purchases at Marriott Bonvoy properties
- 3 points per dollar on travel, dining, gas stations purchases
- 2 points per dollar everywhere else
- One free night hotel night at the anniversary date of the account
- 15 Elite nights per calendar year
Interestingly enough, this card also provides 3 points for every dollar spent on Plastiq, making it one of the best credit cards to use on this online service.
Finally, some readers noted that it also offers 3 points per dollar on SAQ purchases.
American Express Aeroplan Small Business Card
Want to earn Aeroplan points with your small business purchases? The American Express® Aeroplan®* Business Reserve Card is for you!
With this card, you get:
- 3 points for your Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations purchases
- 2 points for your accommodation and car rental purchases
- 1 point for all other purchases
Besides, you enjoy access to Maple Leaf lounges in North America, the first piece of checked baggage for you and up to 8 travelling companions, an annual companion pass and exclusive benefits with Air Canada.
American Express AIR MILES Small Business Cards
Finally, American Express hasn’t forgotten about AIR MILES Collectors by offering 2 AIR MILES Cards for Small Businesses.
The American Express® AIR MILES®* for Business Card offers:
- A Welcome Bonus of 2,000 AIR MILES Miles
- An exclusive 25% discount on AIR MILES Business Rewards
- 1 mile / $10 in Card purchases from AIR MILES Sponsors
- No annual fee
- A welcome bonus of 150 AIR MILES Miles
- 1 mile / $15 in Card purchases from AIR MILES Sponsors
You’ll see: you don’t have to be a big business owner to get an American Express Small Business Card.
You’ll be able to split your personal and small business expenses: enough to delight your accountant at the end of the year!