The Best Credit cards in My Portfolio
American Express Cobalt® Card
The American Express Cobalt™ Card is the best credit card from American Express, whether you want points for travel or cashback.
The welcome bonus is distributed monthly for the first 12 months. You earn 2,500 Membership Rewards points for every $500 in purchases charged to your card during the month (whether in the 1X, 2X, 3X or 5X category). That’s up to 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
Plus, you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 20,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend a total of $3,000 in purchases on your Card in your first 3 months of Cardmembership. That’s up to 50,000 Membership Rewards points as a welcome bonus!
You can easily use these points as statement credits for everyday or travel purchases. The value is the same for both: 1,000 points = $10. Or, you can transfer your points to Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy, or Hilton Honors.
With the American Express Cobalt™ Card, you can earn between 1 and 5 points per dollar:
|Category||Points per dollar|
|Restaurants and bars||5|
|Gas & Transit||2|
This is a 1 to 5% return on all these purchases.
In addition, this card provides excellent insurance coverage: car rental theft and damage, baggage delay, lost or stolen baggage, flight delay, $250,000 travel accident, hotel or motel burglary, Mobile Device Insurance, Extended Warranty, Purchase Protection Insurance.
Find out in this article how to optimize the welcome bonus to get 87,500 points with your current spending.
HSBC World Elite® Mastercard®
The HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® is a great credit card with no foreign transaction fees, especially for travel purchases.
For a limited time, you can get:
- Up to 130,000 points (a $650 value in travel rewards) if you live in Quebec and with no minimum purchase!
- Up to 100,000 points (a $500 value in travel rewards) and a first year annual fee waiver if you live outside Quebec
With the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard®,you earn:
- 6 points per dollar for travel purchases (flights, hotels, Airbnb, all-inclusive, etc.)
- 3 points per dollar for all other purchases including Costco
It’s a 1% to 3% value depending on your purchases!
You can apply your points on any travel purchase charged to your HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® (flights, hotels, Airbnb, all-inclusive, etc.). But you can also transfer your points to three airline loyalty programs: British Airways Executive Club, Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines Krisflyer.
Finally, with the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® you get:
- $100 annual travel credit (for airport lounges, for example)
- Unlimited access to Boingo WiFi hotspots around the world
- 10% discount for hotel bookings on Expedia or Agoda
- Premium insurance for your travels and purchases
Finally, the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® does not charge any conversion fees for foreign exchange transactions: you save 2.5% for each transaction.
And it’s one of the best credit cards for Costco, where you earn 3 points per dollar.
Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card
The Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card is the best credit card for free hotel nights.
With this welcome offer, you can earn up to 85,000 Marriott Bonvoy points:
- 70,000 points after $1,500 in Card purchases within the first 3 months
- 5 points per dollar on travel and gas purchases for your first 3 months (up to 15,000 points)
With this Card, you earn 5 points per dollar on all purchases at Marriott Bonvoy properties and 2 points per dollar on all other purchases.
Finally, this Card has reliable insurance: Baggage delay, Lost or Stolen Baggage, $500,000 Travel Accident, Flight delay, Hotel or motel burglary, Car Rental Theft and Damage, Buyer’s Assurance® Protection Plan, Purchase Protection Guarantee.
TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card
With the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card, you earn 1.5 points for every $1 spent on eligible:
- Grocery stores
- Gas stations
- Air Canada purchases, including Air Canada Vacations
With the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card, you can get:
- A welcome bonus of 10,000 Aeroplan points when you make your first purchase with your new card
- 15,000 additional Aeroplan points and a bonus Buddy Pass (different rules depending on your province of residence)
- An annual fee rebate for the primary cardholder (instead of $139)
- Annual fee rebate for the first year for up to 3 additional cardholders (instead of $75 per additional card )
- $100 NEXUS fee rebate
- Up to eight passengers travelling on the same reservation will all enjoy their first checked bag free (up to 23kg/50lb) when your travel originates on an Air Canada flight.
For Quebec Residents only: To receive the additional bonus of 15,000 Aeroplan points and the bonus Buddy Pass, you must keep your Account open, active and in good standing for 90 days after Account opening. More Info here.
For Residents outside of Quebec: To receive the additional bonus of 15,000 Aeroplan points and the bonus Buddy Pass, you must make $1,000 in net Purchases (less any returns and credits) on your Account, including your first Purchase, within 90 days of Account opening. More Info here.
American Express Business Edge™ Card
The Platinum Card® is the best premium card in Canada for travellers.
With this welcome offer, you can earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards points.
- 80,000 Membership Rewards points after $6,000 in Card purchases wthin the first 3 months
- 20,000 Membership Rewards points when you make a purchase between 14 and 17 months of Cardmembership
With this card, you get:
- 3 points per dollar on dining purchases
- 2 points per dollar on travel purchases
- 1 point per dollar on all other purchases
You can use your Membership Rewards points in multiple ways:
- Transfer your points to airline partners (Aeroplan, British Airways Executive Club, Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue, etc.)
- Transfer your points to hotel programs (Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy)
- Redeem points for statement credits to offset any travel purchase charged to your Card (1,000 points = $10)
- Redeem points for statement credits towards other purchases (1,000 points = $10)
- And more!
With this Card, you also have advantages for your travels:
- $200 Annual Travel Credit
- Unlimited access for you and an additional traveller to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries
- Hilton Honors Gold Elite status (complimentary breakfast at all Hilton hotels)
- Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status
- Access to the Fine Hotels & Resorts program
Finally, the Platinum Card® comes with premium insurance: Car Rental Theft and Damage, $500,000 Travel Accident, Emergency medical insurance (outside the province or country), Lost or Stolen Baggage, Flight delay insurance and misdirected baggage, Hotel or motel burglary, Purchase Protection® Plan, Buyer’s Assurance® Protection Plan.