American Express Cobalt® Card
The American Express Cobalt™ Card is the best credit card from American Express, whether you want points for travel or cashback.
The welcome bonus is distributed monthly for the first 12 months. You earn 2,500 Membership Rewards points for every $500 in purchases charged to your card during the month (whether in the 1X, 2X, 3X or 5X category). That’s up to 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
Plus, you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 20,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend a total of $3,000 in purchases on your Card in your first 3 months of Cardmembership. That’s up to 50,000 Membership Rewards points as a welcome bonus!
You can easily use these points as statement credits for everyday or travel purchases. The value is the same for both: 1,000 points = $10.
Or, you can transfer your points to Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy, or Hilton Honors. With the American Express Cobalt™ Card, you can earn between 1 and 5 points per dollar:
|Category||Points per dollar|
|Restaurants and bars||5|
|Gas & Transit||2|
This is a 1 to 5% return on all these purchases.
In addition, this card provides excellent insurance coverage: rental car theft and damage, baggage delay, lost or stolen baggage, flight delay, $250,000 travel accident, hotel or motel burglary, Mobile Device Insurance, Purchase Security, Purchase Protection Insurance.
Find out in this article how to optimize the welcome bonus to get 87,500 points with your current spending.
TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card
With the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card, you earn 1.5 points for every $1 spent on eligible:
- Grocery stores
- Gas stations
- Air Canada purchases, including Air Canada Vacations
With the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card, you can get:
- A welcome bonus of 10,000 Aeroplan points when you make your first purchase with your new card†
- 15,000 additional Aeroplan points and a bonus Buddy Pass (different rules depending on your province of residence)†
- An annual fee rebate for the primary cardholder (instead of $139)†
- Annual fee rebate for the first year for up to 3 additional cardholders (instead of $75 per additional card )
- $100 NEXUS fee rebate
- Up to eight passengers travelling on the same reservation will all enjoy their first checked bag free (up to 23kg/50lb) when your travel originates on an Air Canada flight.
For Quebec Residents only: To receive the additional bonus of 15,000 Aeroplan points and the bonus Buddy Pass, you must keep your Account open, active and in good standing for 90 days after Account opening. More Info here.
For Residents outside of Quebec: To receive the additional bonus of 15,000 Aeroplan points and the bonus Buddy Pass, you must make $1,000 in net Purchases (less any returns and credits) on your Account, including your first Purchase, within 90 days of Account opening. More Info here.
National Bank's World Elite Mastercard®
You can earn up to 2 points per dollar in card purchases, including at Costco. Besides, you get up to $250 in travel credits per calendar year:
- Airport parking: $100
- Baggage fees: $100
- Seat selection: $50
Besides, you can enjoy access to the LoungeKey airport lounges as well as free Wi-Fi with Boingo. The National Bank’s World Elite Mastercard® is a credit card to keep, year after year, for several reasons:
- it has one of the best travel and purchases credit card insurance on the market
- up to $250 travel credit per year
- Unlimited access to the National Bank Lounge at Montreal-Trudeau airport
CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite* Card
The CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite* Card is one of the best Visa credit cards with cash back in Canada. The minimum annual income required for this card is $60,000 (personal) or $100,000 (household). With this Card, you earn:
- 4% cash back on eligible gas and groceries purchases
- 2% cash back on eligible transportation, dining purchases and recurring payments
- 1% on all other purchases
Currently, get 10% cash back for the first 4 statements on total purchases of up to $2,500. And you’ll get a first-year annual fee rebate!
And this card has comprehensive insurance:
- Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Insurance
- $500,000 Common Carrier Accident Insurance
- Flight Delay and Baggage Insurance
- Trip Interruption Insurance
- Out-of-Province Emergency Travel Medical Insurance
- Purchase Security and Extended Protection Insurance
American Express® Aeroplan®* Card
- 10,000 Aeroplan points and a bonus Buddy Pass after $1,500 in Card purchases within the first 3 months
- 2,500 Aeroplan Points per month, after $500 in Card purchases per month for the first 12 months or 30,000 Aeroplan Points
With this Card, you earn 2X the points on purchases made directly with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations.
And 1.5x the points on Dining and Food Delivery purchases in Canada. Anywhere else, you will earn 1X the points.
Enjoy your first checked bag free (up to 23kg/50lb) for up to 9 people travelling on the same reservation on Air Canada®* flights.
American Express®* Aeroplan® Reserve Card
With this welcome offer for the American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Card, you can earn up to 90,000 Aeroplan points and an Air Canada Buddy Pass. Here’s how:
- 30,000 Aeroplan points and a bonus Buddy Pass after $3,000 in Card purchases within the first 3 months
- 5,000 Aeroplan Points per month, after $1,000 in Card purchases per month for the first 12 months, or 60,000 Aeroplan Points
With this Card, you earn 3X the points on purchases made directly with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations. And 2x the points on Dining and Food Delivery purchases in Canada. Everywhere else, you will earn 1.25X the points. With this Card, you’ll enjoy Air Canada Travel benefits like access to Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges, priority check-in, priority boarding and priority baggage handling. Enjoy your first checked bag free (up to 23kg/50lb) for up to 9 people travelling on the same reservation on Air Canada®* flights. And you can get a FREE Uber Pass membership for 12 months.
HSBC World Elite® Mastercard®
The HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® is a great credit card with no foreign transaction fees, especially for travel purchases. For a limited time, you can get:
- Up to 130,000 points (a $650 value in travel rewards) if you live in Quebec and with no minimum purchase!
- Up to 100,000 points (a $500 value in travel rewards) and a first-year annual fee waiver if you live outside Quebec
With the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard®, you can earn:
- 6 points per dollar for travel purchases (flights, hotels, Airbnb, all-inclusive, etc.)
- 3 points per dollar for all other purchases including Costco
This means a return of 1.5% to 3% depending on your purchases! You can apply your points on any travel purchase charged to your HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® (flights, hotels, Airbnb, all-inclusive, etc.). But you can also transfer your points to three airline loyalty programs: British Airways Executive Club, Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines Krisflyer. Finally, with the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® you get:
- $100 annual travel credit (for airport lounges, for example)
- Unlimited access to Boingo WiFi hotspots around the world
- 10% discount for hotel bookings on Expedia or Agoda
- Premium insurance for your travels and purchases
Finally, the HSBC World Elite® Mastercard® does not charge any conversion fees for foreign exchange transactions: you save 2.5% for each transaction. And it’s one of the best credit cards for Costco, where you earn 3 points per dollar.
Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card
The Marriott Bonvoy® American Express®* Card is the best credit card for free hotel nights. With this welcome offer, you can earn 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after $1,500 in Card purchases within the first 3 months.
With this Card, you earn 5 points per dollar on all purchases at Marriott Bonvoy properties and 2 points per dollar on all other purchases.
Finally, this Card comes with comprehensive insurance: baggage delay, lost or stolen baggage, $500,000 travel accident, flight delay, hotel or motel burglary, rental car theft and damage, Purchase Security, Purchase Protection.
The Platinum Card® is the best premium card in Canada for travellers. With this welcome offer, you can earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards points. Here’s how:
- 80,000 Membership Rewards points after $6,000 in Card purchases wthin the first 3 months
- 20,000 Membership Rewards points when you make a purchase between 14 and 17 months of Cardmembership
With this card, you get:
- 3 points per dollar on dining purchases
- 2 points per dollar on travel purchases
- 1 point per dollar on all other purchases
You can use your Membership Rewards points in many ways:
- Transfer your points to airline partners (Aeroplan, British Airways Executive Club, Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue, etc.)
- Transfer your points to hotel programs (Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy)
- Redeem points for statement credits to offset any travel purchase charged to your Card (1,000 points = $10)
- Redeem points for statement credits towards other purchases (1,000 points = $10)
- And more!
With this Card, you also have advantages for your travels:
- $200 Annual Travel Credit
- $100 NEXUS Card Statement Credit
- Unlimited access for you and an additional traveller to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries
- Hilton Honors Gold Elite status (complimentary breakfast at all Hilton hotels)
- Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status
- Access to the Fine Hotels & Resorts program
Finally, the Platinum Card® comes with premium insurance: Car Rental Theft and Damage, $500,000 Travel Accident, Emergency medical insurance (outside the province or country), Lost or Stolen Baggage, Flight delay insurance and misdirected baggage, Hotel or motel burglary, Purchase Protection® Plan, Buyer’s Assurance® Protection Plan.
SimplyCash™ Preferred from American Express
The SimplyCash™ Preferred from American Express is the only credit card in Canada offering 2% cash back on all purchases. And there’s no limit to how much cash back you can earn!
Besides, with this welcome offer, you earn 10% cashback in your first 4 months (up to $400 cash back).
This Card stands out for its premium insurance: Car Rental Theft and Damage, $100,000 travel accident, Emergency medical insurance (outside the province or country), Lost or Stolen Baggage, Flight delay insurance and misdirected baggage, Hotel or motel burglary, Purchase Protection® Plan, Buyer’s Assurance® Protection Plan.
BMO® AIR MILES® World Elite®* Mastercard®*
With this exclusive offer for the BMO® AIR MILES® World Elite®* Mastercard®*, you can earn 3,000 AIR MILES Bonus Miles after $3,000 in Card purchases, representing a $310 cash value. Besides, the $149 annual fee is waived in the first year!
With this card, you earn 3 miles for every $12 spent at participating AIR MILES Partners. Everywhere else, you’ll earn 1 Mile for every $12 spent, including at Costco and Walmart. And it’s the only AIR MILES credit card in Canada to offer a 15% discount on AIR MILES flights within North America with no blackout periods.
The BMO® AIR MILES® World Elite®* Mastercard®* card also offers:
- Premium insurance for your travels or purchases
- Double the miles for car rentals with National or Alamo
- Concierge services